10 Things The Internet Taught Me About Sex | The Odyssey Online

10 Things The Internet Taught Me About Sex

Pro tips from YouTube Sexpert Dr. Lindsey Doe.

1917
i.ytimg.com

Like many millennial teens, I learned a lot about sex from the Internet. Luckily, I had Dr. Lindsey Doe to teach me. Dr. Doe is a certified sexologist and makes YouTube videos to help us out with all those questions we just couldn’t bring ourselves to ask our parents or doctors. Her Sexplanations channel is a haven of scientifically correct and inclusive videos about all facets of sex and relationships. The way she discusses sex is always shame-free and focuses on how to have a healthy and pleasurable sex life. Click on the videos below for some of her best advice:

1. That's not your vagina

Dr. Doe explains the vulva and the entire vaginal area, which people usually refer to overall as the vagina. Great for anyone who wants to know more about this anatomy for whatever reason. (People with penises looking to pleasure people with clitorises, listen up!) She also explains the clitoral hood and how to keep it clean and use it for pleasure.

2. Get What You Want

If you love planning and writing down pros and cons as much as I do, this video is for you. Dr. Doe walks you through how to think about your sexual preferences and how to complete the activity with a partner to match your needs and wants. Even if you're not comfortable using the chart with a partner, it can still help you have better communication with yourself and partners. Her method can apply to any situation, from deciding what class you want to take to what kind of food to order.

3. What’s THAT?

In the previous video, Dr. Doe asked you to create a list of what you want to do, will do or won’t do when it comes to sex. But did you have trouble coming up with items for the list? Couldn’t remember that thing you liked that one time? In this video, Dr. Doe gives you a list of 150 different sex acts. Whether you’re working on want/will/won’t lists or curious about what all those different acts might be, this video is just plain interesting.

4. Pelvic exams can be stress-free

Nervous for your first pelvic exam? Dr. Doe films her routine pelvic exam and chats with her doctor in a follow-up video. She goes through exactly what's happening and how it feels so you'll be prepared for your first visit. Now that I’m 21, I should have a pelvic exam once a year, so it was nice to get the walk-through ahead of time.

Bonus! Here's the follow-up chat with her doctor:

5. Fantasies don't have to become reality

Just because you fantasize about something when you’re daydreaming or masturbating doesn't mean you have to want that in real life. Acknowledging this divide has freed me to be more creative and adventurous in my fantasies by releasing my fantasy space from residual guilt I had carried with me from IRL societal norms.

6. Pulling out can be more effective than you think

Dr. Doe drops some important statistics in this video and explains why pulling out correctly can be more effective than a condom or even the pill. Still, withdrawal doesn't prevent STIs, so back it up with a condom. Pro tip: withdrawal can also work as a secondary birth control method if you're nervous about the condom breaking or your ability to remember to take the pill every day.

7. How to prevent UTIs

Dr. Doe explains why bodies with vaginas get urinary tract infections more often than bodies with penises. She also suggests some self-care practices to minimize your chance of getting a UTI.

8. How to masturbate in college

Got a roommate? Don't know how to ask them to give you some alone time in the room? Dr. Doe can get you through it. As always, the key is communication, even if it's coded. "Can I get the room this afternoon? I need some time to go to the bank."

9. How to have anal sex

Whether you're planning on having anal sex or just curious about what it's all about, Dr. Doe breaks it down into easy to follow steps, always emphasizing consent, comfort and arousal.

10. Use and Care for Sex Toys

Featuring Dr. Doe lounging in a sex swing, this video answers all your questions about what sex toys to use where. She also talks about cleaning your toys and making sure the material you’re using is safe and not messing with your hormones. Watch for recommendations of sex toy reviewers and a book about orgasming with sex toys.