10 Of The Best Mixtapes Of All Time

10 Of The Best Mixtapes Of All Time

From debuts to album-worthy freebies, here are my favorite mixtapes

1735
10 Of The Best Mixtapes Of All Time
VinceHardy.com

You can make the argument that mixtapes are better than albums, however you can also argue that most of them are garbage. But what makes a mixtape so great and differentiates it from an actual album, besides the fact that they’re free, is the rawness. Sure, mixtapes are rough around the edges, but they allow artists to express themselves freely without the interference of record labels, giving it that raw uncut feel and the avoidance and hassle that comes along with sample clearing. Nowadays, mixtapes are often the first project that an artist will release to the public, so in a way it is a introduction that offers complete creative control, which allows each artist to project themselves in the way they desire. With that being said, here are some mixtapes that helped build the careers of many rappers, but more importantly here are my all time favorite mixtapes.

1. Chance the Rapper, "Acid Rap"

The second mixtape from the Chicago native, Chancellor Bennett, and possibly my favorite mixtape ever, is a tape filled with all types of elements. From the clever cluster raps on "Favorite Song" to the heartfelt message of self-worth on "Everybody's Something" to the fear of persecution exhibited on "Paranoia", Chance is able to tackle all these topics through the use of his powerful voice and unique sung-rapped style. Although Chance might lack the silky-smooth, polished voice that most R&B singers tend to have, he is still able to have a powerful voice due to the raw emotion he demonstrates in his music. I still listen to this tape almost everyday, and I plan on continuing to.

2. Mac Miller, "Kids"

I remember the first time I heard this, I was a 14 year-old freshman in high school, and it had a huge impact on me at the time, especially because I was so young. In a project that screams juvenescence, the then 18 year-old Pittsburgh rapper describes what it's like to be a kid through the use of clever wordplay and uptempo beats. Mac raps about partying, hanging with friends, and following your dreams throughout the entire project, and it is clear that he enjoys having a good time and he would like his listeners to have a good time too. Rapping effortlessly over smooth uptempo beats like "The Spins" and "Senior Skip Day", Mac proves that he kicks incredibly dope sh*t. This mixtape makes me feel nostalgic because I have so many memories with this mixtape and because of that I can't help but smile and have good time whenever I listen to this.

3. Kid Cudi, "A Kid Named Cudi"

The mixtape that introduced me to one of my favorite, if not favorite artist of all time. I was only 13 when I first listened to this mixtape, but that didn't stop me from falling in love with it. Having created the biggest buzz from Cleveland since Bone Thugs, the then GOOD music signee released his introduction to the world with his mixtape, "A Kid Named Cudi" in 2008. The project, and instant classic, produced a radio hit, "Day 'n' Nite", which helped Cudi land a spot on the charts. However, it is the songs like, "Whenever", "Pillow Talk", and "Man on the Moon" that made me fond of the tape. Throughout the entire mixtape, Cudi presents a mood that consists of depression and self deprecation, but it his unique cadence and genre-bending that allows him to distance himself from anything ever heard in hip hop. This is a classic and I still have it in heavy rotation.

4. A$AP Rocky, "Live.Love.A$AP"

Widely recognized as a classic, the 2011 release of "Live.Love.A$AP" served as an introduction for both Rocky and the rest of the A$AP Mob. Repping from Harlem and drawing inspiration from the south, more specifically Houston, Rocky is able to interlock the music culture of the two cities' through his impressive flow and slowed down beats, creating a unique sound. The first song on the mixtape,"Palace" perfectly demonstrates Rocky's unique sound and his ability to connect Houston to Harlem. On the track, Rocky displays his inner Houston by using words like "trill" and rapping over a slowed down beat, courtesy of Clams Casino, but he is still able to show his identity by abruptly switching to a rapid flow that is reminiscent of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. With this tape, Rocky was able to rejuvenate the city of New York, and establish himself as one of the leaders in hip hop.

5. Joey Bada$$, “1999″

Back in 2012 the, then 17 year-old rapper from Brooklyn released his nostalgic debut mixtape, "1999". Bringing back that feel from the"Golden Age" of hip hop, Joey's flow seems to fit perfectly with the classic boom bap style effortlessly throughout the whole tape. I loved this mixtape because he is only one year older than me yet at the time, he was rapping better than people twice his age.

6. J.Cole, "The Warm Up"

7. Drake, “So Far Gone”

8. Kendrick Lamar, “Overly Dedicated”

9. Chance the Rapper, “10 Day”

10. Mac Miller, “Macadelic”