The Best Of The Ithaca Commons | The Odyssey Online

The Best Of The Ithaca Commons

Now that the fence is down, find out the best places to hang out!

33
The Best Of The Ithaca Commons
Ithaca Commons

The time has come and gone. The fences are finally down and the sidewalks are paved. It’s official — the Commons construction is complete! Get your friends and start exploring.

Festivals

You can’t talk about the Commons and not mention the festivals. Apple Fest steals most of the spotlight, but there are a couple others that should be on your radar.

Apple Fest (Oct. 2-4)

The most talked-about event in downtown. Apple fest is pretty much Ithaca’s official start of fall celebration. Roughly 100 vendors will set up shop selling ciders, baked goods, fresh produce, and art.

Winter Festival (Nov. 28- Dec. 13)

Winter Fest should be getting more attention. It’s a great way to chill (literally) before finals. Santa makes an appearance and the Ice Wars tend to draw a small crowd. There is also a chowder cook-off.

Chili Fest- TBA

It's the spring semester equivalent of Apple Fest. Chili fest doesn’t get much attention from college students, but it is a good way to get out of your dorm room. Restaurants from all over Ithaca compete to prepare the best chili. There's also vegetarian chili competition.

Food

Ithaca is a foodie’s heaven. There is no definitive taste of Ithaca because there are so many cultures represented. The restaurants on the Commons are meant for all price ranges (check out the Parents section for the fancier options).

Waffle Frolic

It's a college student’s dream. Waffle Frolic has an amazing waffle bar that even includes Purity ice cream, but they have more to offer than meets the eye.

Green Street Pharmacy

Inside the tiny pharmacy is an old-fashioned soda counter. The last time I was here, there was a line of about 10-15 people, so don't overlook this place. It's a town favorite!

College Town Bagels

If you ever find yourself wondering why every college student has a CTB sticker on their laptop just try a bagel. The chalkboard menu spans the entire store making it hard to pick just one from so many options.

Life’s So Sweet Chocolates

I discovered this place during Chili Fest when they had a special chili-flavored chocolate. The little boutique has more than enough to send you into a chocolate-coma.

Hal’s Delicatessen

Don’t judge Hal’s based on their hole in the wall appearance. They are known to have a killer breakfast spread.

Red’s Place

If you and your friends are ever feeling a little fancy, Red’s is the place. I first experienced Red’s freshman year as a floor program date night, and we were all ready for a second date.

Viva! Taqueria

If you’re in the mood for Mexican, and your expectations are higher than Chipotle, hit up Viva.

Boutiques/Shops

Shopping on the Commons is a great way to support local business, but there are also nationally recognized brands.

Trader K’s

Trader K’s is the hipster thrift shop that caters to all of Ithaca. If you’re looking for more unique finds than you would see at the Salvation Army this is your place.

Urban Outfitters

Urban is a great store if you want to browse anything from clothing to house gifts. The store has a definitive style, but its always a great conversation starter.

Dewitt Mall

The Dewitt Mall is an Ithaca staple. Inside you’ll find multiple little antique shops as well as a GreenStar and a food court. The mall is also the home of the famous Moosewood restaurant.

Culture

With two colleges surrounding the Commons, there are so many immersive cultural experiences, from art to cinema there is a lot offered.

The State Theatre

The State Theatre is great for live entertainment. If you want to listen to a band, laugh with a comedian or watch ballet, this is the place.

Cinemapolis

A new home for the indie movie fan, Cinemapolis is a great place to watch independent and foreign films that large chain theaters don’t carry. They also screen films for Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF) and the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Festival.

Creative Space Gallery

The creative space gallery acts as Ithaca College’s art gallery. Students and faculty display their work and participate in First Friday gallery nights, which offers free admission to 20 local art galleries.

The Community School of Music and Arts (CSMA)

The multi-art school teaches classes offer dance, music and art classes. They also host events open to the public.

Parents

Whether it’s parents weekend or graduation there are plenty of places to take your family and impress them while in Ithaca.

Moosewood

Moosewood has published multiple cookbooks and has been featured in national food magazines. Moosewood is revolutionary because of their approach to dining. They source most of their food locally and base their menu off of what is seasonally available.

Mahogany Grill

Mahogany Grill is also a leader in locally sourced and produced food service. TripAdvisor has also awarded Mahogany a seal of excellence.

Mercato Bar and Kitchen

Mercato bar is a small upscale Italian restaurant. At first their menu may seem small, but they provide quality over quantity.

Sahara Mediterranean Restaurant

Unlike other Mediterranean restaurants that offer a taste of Europe, Sahara exclusively serves Greek and Middle Eastern food.

Just a Taste

If your looking to sample everything and anything the tapas at Just a Taste are for you. They also offer several wine flights that are your very own wine tasting experience.

Mockingbird Paperie

The little boutique offers a range of stationery and supplies, but they also teach classes and workshops about creating your own stationery, calligraphy and more.

My American Crafts

American Crafts offers everything from pottery, art glass, jewelry, to home décor. When you visit American Crafts, you’re sure to leave with a one-of-a-kind conversation piece.

Titus Gallery

The Titus gallery specializes in watercolors and African art. However, they also have antiques and collectibles displayed.

There is something for everyone on the Ithaca Commons. Whether you're in the mood for good food, some shopping, taking in a show or walking through a gallery, you'll be able to find it here.