The 10 Best Horror Movies to Binge this October

Scares with ACTUAL PLOTS??? Say it isn't so!

311

10. Wildling (Netflix): A sheriff tries to save a young girl held in captivity and the girl was always taught that her only sanctuary is her house. Sound too familiar? I promise you it is anything but that. It is an interesting watch that somehow makes a supernatural tale feel like reality.

9. The Forest (Netflix): Who isn't a sucker for a spooky setting? Taking place in the real-world Aokigahara Forest of Japan, A.K.A. the infamous Suicide Forest, this movie takes Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones) on a journey to horrofic extremes in order to find out the fate of her missing sister. This movie will leave you questioning your own understanding of reality.

8. Creep (Netflix): A movie by one of the most well known horror production companies, Blumhouse, Creep is one of those movies that flips everything around you once knew into something horrifyingly delightful by its conclusion. It will seem like you are getting nowhere fast with this movie, but I promise you the twists are worth it.

7. Mercy Black (Netflix): In the very beginning of the film, we see the main character just getting out of a psych ward. The answer as to why she was put there in the first place is a morally shocking incident that you will not soon forget.

6. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero (Hulu): This is a Halloween classic for me since it came out in 2014. A warning for those thinking about watching this movie: do NOT watch this movie if you are emotionally triggered by the coronavirus we are facing. This movie depicts a global pandemic, but thankfully with no zombie content. It stands alone among pandemic movies because it focuses on the very beginning of the virus's existence. The characters actually have substance.

5. Ready or Not (Hulu): This blockbuster hit also received a rave review. Without giving too much away, it is about a woman who just found out OUT OF ALL THE FAMILIES SHE COULD HAVE MARRIED INTO, she picked the absolute worst one humanly possible. I will leave it at that. Enjoy this suspenseful game of games, full of just enough comic relief to make it possibly one of your favorite movies this spooky season.

4. The House at the End of the Street (Netflix): This movie stars Jennifer Lawrence the same year as her Hunger Games debut as well as her Academy Award winning Silver Linings Playbook performance. I seriously want to tell you the wild plot twist that occurs in this movie, but I will refrain. All I have to say is, nothing is at all what it seems.

3. The Circle [2015] (Netflix): This movie will MESS YOU UP. Everyone must work together and eliminate people one by one. Watching people trying to morally or rationally decide who stays and who goes is certainly emotionally taxing and horrifying. What happens when you get eliminated? No spoilers today, folks. How did this movie make it to number 3 on the list? I'll answer that question with another question: What do you think will happen when there is just one person left?

2. Last Shift (Amazon Prime): I am not going to lie. This movie scared me. For days, it gave me that childhood reaction to check behind every shower curtain and door to a dark room as fast as humanly possible to ensure I was safe. It left my spine tingling, my face pale, and my palms sweaty with nail indentations. Believe it or not, this movie actually has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, a score rarely given to horror movies or really any movie at all. If you are in for a big scare full of psychological terror, this is the movie for you. Plus, who doesn't love a cult premise?

1. Before I Wake (Netflix): Famous child actor Jacob Tremblay (Wonder, Room, Good Boys) stars in this horror movie that has an unusual core - love. You will likely have no idea what I mean until you see the ending, which is a good thing. This movie is MUCH more than nightmares coming to life. There is actual acting, a plot, and a huge twist that will leave you speechless.