A Letter To My Long Distance Best Friend

Good friends aren't easy to find, so keep the great ones close to you forever.

22
mLaney Moore

To my long distance best friend,

After high school we all have to do our own things and I’m glad we understand that. Life is a different journey for everybody and not one story is the same. My story may have brought us miles away from each other, but that does not change anything for our friendship and I’m ecstatic that although there are numerous states and many miles in between, nothing has changed for us. From being so far away we recognized the effort we both have to put in in order to keep the friendship we have as strong as it has always been. Being this far away from someone who has been in your life for years is the real test of it all.

A best friend is like a boyfriend but better, so being this far away we can send them all the pictures of us while getting ready, while out, and then the horrendous pictures of when were back home stuffing our faces. We can call them any day at any time and know they’re going to answer and be on the phone for hours talking about everything. Best friends want every little detail about the story even if they don’t know the people involved in the story, they want to know what they look like and what they said and what I’m going through now. Best friends know how to still cheer you up over the phone when you're home sick or if you’ve had just a terrible day. My best friends have never let me down and have been there for me through everything after going our separate ways, and that’s how I know I picked the right friends in high school.

Every time we get to see each other again, we are back to doing the same things when we were all living in the same town. Being able to pick up exactly where we left off except talking about all the new adventures in our lives is more than I could ever ask for. A trip to our favorite dinner in the middle of the night when there’s nothing fun to do in our little town is precisely what I need when we're all home together. Or going to the best bagel place in town to get egg sandwiches in the morning to talk about everything that happened last night just like old times. Even the sleepovers at the usual house bring back all the good memories and sad memories in that room, the amount of shots that have been slipped on the floor, and tears that have been shed in there together make me grateful years later we still are spilling the shots together and crying together because it's time for us to go our separate ways again.

Thanks for keeping up with all the new friends and going out of your way to meet and hang out with them, by the way, I of course love your new friends as well. Even the different guys that have been in out of the picture since we left each other. Although you may not know them, you still hate the ones that screwed up and talked me into realization for the wrong ones. Not only do you keep up with the new ones, but you still stalk the old ones from back home with me and talk about how much better were all doing than them.

Life is going to bring us to a million different places but I know that after getting through all of this we will make it 100 more years of each other's lives no matter how hectic they get. You don’t find good friends easily so keep the ones close to your heart and do everything you have to in order to keep each other that close always.

I love you, my long distance best friend.