Ballet Bulletin: Beginning Pointe

Ballet Bulletin: Beginning Pointe

From the basics of sewing on ribbons to strengthening your feet.

687
Ballet Bulletin: Beginning Pointe

Beginning pointe is very important in a dancer's career. The age at which to begin is a bit of a controversy — ultimately, the teacher should know the appropriate age for each individual. Dancers should be strong technically, as well as physically. To begin, talk to your teacher about where a good place to get pointe shoes fitted would be. If your teacher can come with you, that's even better. After getting your shoes you will need to sew them.

Sewing Your Shoes

1. Show your teacher.

Please show your teacher your shoes before sewing ribbons or elastics on them. Do not dance around in them or get them dirty before showing them to your teacher.

2. Prepare your ribbons.

Usually you will get 2.5 meters of precut ribbon. Cut that ribbon in half. At this point, it is a good to burn the edges with a lighter, match or candle. This prevents the ends from fraying. Kids, please ask your parents for help. For placement of the ribbons, I like to fold my heel in so it's flat against the sole of my shoe. Then, mark the crease. As shown below:

Sew along all four sides. You should be able to sew into the inner lining of the shoe, not through to the satin. This will make your shoes look pretty and not have stitches on the outside. Make sure you do not sew into the drawstrings.

3. Sew on elastics.

Most dancers prefer to have elastics on the heel of the shoe to keep it from slipping off. This is optional, and there are several ways to do this. First, put the shoe on and measure how tight you would like the elastics to be. They should start and end at the heel of the shoe and go around the ankle. There are two different ways shown below. Again, be careful not to sew into the drawstrings.

4. Tighten your drawstrings.

Pull the shoe on and tighten the drawstring. I like to make a double knot and then trim the excess string. Be careful not to trim too much, until you know for sure that is how tight you like it. You can also trim your ribbons to the length of your liking.

There are a few different ways to tie your ribbons, ask your teacher to show you and help you. There are also several different ways to break in your shoes. Please ask your teacher for help with this. Do not stick your shoe in the door or smash it with a hammer. Your teacher will know how much your shoe should be broken in as well as where to make sure you are dancing safely and benefit from your shoes.

Gaining Flexibility in Your Feet and Ankles

Having flexibility in your ankles can help you get over your box. Too much flexibility can actually inhibit your dancing, so make sure not to overdo these stretches. Also, make sure to do an equal amount of strengthening.

Purchasing a foot stretcher online can definitely improve your pointe. However, you can do the same stretch with a partner gently pressing down on the top of your foot. Make sure the foot it not sickling or winging, the toes should be in line with the ankle.

Keep your ankles and feet strong

Thera-Bands are great to increase strength in the foot and ankle. They can be purchased online at Discount Dance, Target or even some dance stores. Start with your feet straight in front of you and wrap the Thera-Band around your toes and metatarsals. Point and flex, resisting against the band. Make sure to pass through demi pointe before pointing and again before flexing. Again, make sure you are not sickling or winging the foot. There are several other exercises that Thera-Bands are great for. I think every dancer should have one!

Having the Correct Placement

Careful not to sickle the foot when doing a tendu in pointe shoes. Also, in relevé, make sure to keep your weight between the first two toes. Your teacher should be able to tell you if you are over your box correctly.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What are some brands that you recommend?

Personally, I am a huge fan of Russian Pointe and Grishko. They have fit me and most of my students very well.

Do you recommend staying away from certain brands?

I would stay away from Freed as a beginner shoe. I also do not prefer Bloch, due to the shoe making the foot look extremely square. However, if either fit nicely and feel good, then I don't mind them on my students.

What kind of padding do you recommend?

I recommend Ouch Pouch toe pads by Capezio. They are just enough padding and come in fun colors.

Do you recommend toe spacers?

Some dancers need toe spacers when they have a large space between their big toe and second toe.

Do I need ribbons and elastics?

I prefer my students to have both ribbon and elastics.

What is a good age to start?

This question varies, depending on the teacher, student, age and ability. Some teachers may have a pre-pointe class to get the ankles and feet strong enough for pointe.

Where can I take pointe?

A lot of dance studios will offer it to their students. Please make sure that whoever is teaching you or your child is trained to do so. Often, I have seen many dancers on pointe who do not belong on pointe. It is extremely dangerous and can be damaging to your body if you are not ready.

Merde and enjoy!