It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Boredom... | The Odyssey Online

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Boredom...

10 things to do in Waco this Winter break.

11

It's that time of year again. Christmas music on a monotonous repeat throughout every public arena, determined mothers stampeding through Target to beat the others to the last PlayStation, and glaring Christmas lights beating through your window at 3 a.m. 

Some of us college students will inevitably find ourselves stuck in Waco for the entire Christmas break. While this would more than likely sound like hell on Earth for most, there is a way to fight the Waco blues!

1. Explore the hidden local restaurants.

Clay Pot, Kitok's, D's Mediterranean, The Egg and I, Papa Rollo's — the list goes on and on. Waco has some of the best food in Texas to offer, and who doesn't want to entertain themselves by stuffing their faces?

2. Explore Cameron Park.
In Texas, we're blessed with the mildest winter on the planet. While the Boston population is busy digging themselves out of 6 feet of snow, we're enjoying random 75 degree weather. Don't take that for granted! Make the quick drive downtown to Cameron Park and hike the trails, take your bike, take your pup and most importantly, take a friend (safety first, kids).

3. Check out the Hippodrome.

This place is the coolest; equipped with curtains, full service waiting staff (with yummy food) and alcohol. The Hippodrome is the best place to watch some holiday movies this break. This historical landmark just reopened and has been fully renovated, and it's perfect for any dates with your SO.

4. Make a quick trip to Belton, Texas for the Light Show.
Belton hosts a unique and Christmas-filled display of lights and music. You drive through in your car (hello, out of the cold). They charge by the carload (so pile everyone in one car), and it's something different to do to get into the Christmas spirit. It's only a 35 minute drive, which is much closer than the Trail of Lights in Austin!

5. Bowling.

Ok, I know what you're thinking: Bowling was fun when I was at my cousin's 12th birthday party 10 years ago. All I have to say to that is, everything's a little more fun with beer, and in typical Waco fashion, every bowling alley here serves alcohol. 

6. Visit the antique shops.

Waco has the best spots for finding vintage trinkets and furniture to spice up your apartment. Digging through piles of old records, books, picture frames and posters can lead to fantastic finds. Pass some time looking at other peoples' histories and memories. I recommend Laverty's and Cameron Trading Post.

7. Homestead Heritage.

Located just 10 miles outside of Waco, this place has the best sweet potato fries and homemade ice cream you'll ever find. The community living at Homestead is friendly and warm, and they have the cutest little pigs and cows running around. But seriously, if you're not into the outdoorsy aspect, go for the food. For the love of all things holy, go for the food.

8. Hit the farmer's market.

I'm almost positive everyone in the Baylor community knows about the weekly Farmer's Market. However, going over any break is way better. There's no swarming crowds standing around the crepes, no need to show up at the butt-crack of dawn just to be there before the market gets picked over, and only the Waco locals calmly strolling.

9. Go Downtown.

Waco's downtown area has improved greatly over the past few years, and it now has all sorts of treasures to offer. Go to Dichotomy to get the best coffee in Waco, head over to the food truck parking lot off of University Parks to grab a delicious lunch, and go to Spice Village to round out your day with unique shopping. Don't neglect our murals and street art scattered through the downtown area either, that stuff is just cool. 

10. Don't forget about the bars.

At the end of the day, there's always a chance to simply forget about your boredom in Waco with a Scruffy Murphy's treat and a La Fiesta margarita strong enough to knock out a baby buffalo. Head to Cricket's for a more laid-back evening, or to True Love Bar downtown to meet an awesome crowd of talkative people.