I'm Begging You: Quit Your Complaining

I'm Begging You: Quit Your Complaining

Two negatives don't equal a positive.

13
I'm Begging You: Quit Your Complaining

I'm not the most optimistic person in the world, but I know that when it comes to speaking about the future it's important to speak words of positivity and of good comings. My family raised me with the belief that what I speak out into the world is more likely to become true than what I keep within. For example, starting every day by saying out loud, "Today is going to be a good day" and changing that statement throughout the day even when things don't go as planned (so in the afternoon say, "The day is going well). Doing this alone, and putting that positive energy out into your surroundings is more like to positively effect your day than holding them in or speaking the negative thoughts that cross your mind.

With that being said, don't get me wrong--I am still human and even have those days when the smallest of things are pissing me off. However, I try to remind myself of the lessons I learned as a child and reassure myself that no matter what, everything will work out how they are meant to. Perhaps they won't work out in the order that I want, or on the day that I could use some good news, etc., but one way or another the pieces come together. As I said, I'm not the most optimistic but there is a big difference between being positive about something going well as opposed to lying to one's self to feel okay just in the moment.

As I've said, I'm not always "Miss Happy-Go-Lucky," constantly convinced that everything will go great. When this happens and I'm feeling down in the dumps, my favorite thing to do (and what I've found to be one of the most helpful) is to go to YouTube and search up one of many of Joel Osteen's "messages" to his church. There are so many of them that I can often find one which properly talks to me about what I'm going through.

Joel Osteen is a preacher and televangelist. He is the Senior Pastor of Lakewood Church in Texas. Now, if you're not a religious person, such as myself, it doesn't make a difference because all of Joel Osteen's messages are meant to motivate one to gain clarity and to understand the mechanics of life. His messages aren't "preachy." Instead, they are inspirational and when life seems to be forcing everything on you at one, motivation is the key to continue moving. Before moving on, I want to share two of Joel Osteen quotes which really resonate with me and which I truly believe:

"The more you talk about negative things in your life, the more you call them in. Speak victory not defeat."

And:

“Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you’re doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you.”

As you can see, these are quotes of encouragement and like I said, his messages are truly meant for anyone and everyone.

Moral of the article? Stop complaining. Personally, I notice when I'm around people who complain a lot or always freak out when things aren't going their way or may not go their way, my mood is immensely drained. I begin to become irritable and introverted. When you complain not only are you pointing out everything that isn't right in your world and thus bringing yourself down, but you're also being the people around you down as well. When life starts to spiral out of control or when things start to go downhill, instead of going to a friend or even talking to yourself about everything which is problematic in the world, take a deep breathe, look around, and voice everything that is right. I promise, it makes all of the difference.

For the past two weeks, every morning when I wake up, I've voiced at the least five things that I am grateful for. Whether it's running water, electricity, a bed to sleep in, waking up this morning or clothes on my back, I notice that each morning the list is endless because my blessings are as well.

Sometimes, complaining is done subconsciously and that's totally normal. However, next time you find yourself speaking out into the world about something that isn't going right or freaking out about something that hasn't even occurred yet and already expecting the worst, catch yourself. Turn your negatives into positives and watch what happens.