Becoming George Bailey | The Odyssey Online

Becoming George Bailey

Understanding your importance in the world.

12
Becoming George Bailey
Plugged In

Dear Readers,

In one of the most adored and acclaimed Christmas movies in Hollywood history, Frank Capra’s It’s A Wonderful Life tells the story of a broken man on the cusp of suicide on Christmas Eve, questioning if life would be better if he had never been born at all. After working tireless hours, helping people before ever helping himself, and sacrificing his hopes and dreams for the people he loves the most, George Bailey comes to a realization that most of us stumble upon every now and then: why is life so unfair? Without question, everyone in their life has or will come to the same point George Bailey did, calling into question the purpose of life if all we have is a constantly repeated slap in the face for doing the right thing. At Christmas, in a renowned period of caring, reflection, and love, it seems relevant that the question of our worth and purpose circles our minds and haunts our thoughts.

In a world constantly filled with hate and tragedy, we often pride ourselves off the fact that we perpetuate goodness and love back in the world, especially in this holiday season. However, quite often, the love we give and the work we do is never appreciated, admired, and announced to the world on a great billboard or affectionate segment in the media. The small miracles that we provide to people in need are never seen at the right moment, depriving us of the deserved credit of being great beacons of hope for the people that need it the most.

However, like George Bailey, we fail to see the imperative details in having a good heart: the goodness we provide to the people we love is the greatest quality because it cannot be obviously stated or seen by all—the beauty in caring about people above ourselves is in the fact that it is acknowledged solely by the existing condition and happiness of the people we have an impact on. We reach out to family members when they’ve slipped into a depression because we understand that seeing them smile inadvertently brings us an immeasurable pleasure. We toss our friends a meal or shirt in times of hunger and warmth because we share their pain and take on the burdens of their situations. We embrace small and large sacrifices in the choices we make, the occupations we choose, and the dreams we put on hold because we acknowledge the fact that our success and happiness is worth nothing if it cannot be shared with the people who mean the most. To understand the fact that our efforts and love need not be recognized or spoken about does not invalidate our impact, but rather gives it a stronger and more admirable quality.

In the film, as George Bailey’s wish to have never existed is granted by his unorthodox guardian angel, he sees the immensity in the impact he has made on his community, friends, and family—realizing that without him, the happiness and successes of his loved ones never would have happened if he had not been there to encourage their dreams and support them in their moments of weakness. On that same Christmas Eve he doubted his purpose in life, he is granted the greatest gift of all in understanding just how important he is to the world.

Despite the fact that most of us will never experience the same life-changing event George Bailey has, there are moments in our lives when we can clearly see how much we mean to the people in our lives. In those hours of questioning, picture your parents—your siblings—your friends in a life that you don’t exist in. Will they have that same shoulder to cry and vent to? Will someone recognize their quiet struggles and help them despite the fact they’ll never ask. Do they have someone in their life that tells them they love them, even when they can’t see eye to eye? When the same George Bailey line of questioning comes to your mind understand this: Your sacrifices matter. Your love matters. You matter.

In the final scene of his realization and new-found love for his purpose in life, George Bailey is recognized by all as the richest man in town, despite his small business and middle class life. It is in the concept that wealth is measured in love and friends, not money and accomplishments, we see the importance in life: to love unconditionally and to encourage the dreams of the people that mean the most. George’s guardian angel leaves him with one parting piece of advice: “Remember George no man is a failure, if he has friends” reminding us all that success is measured not in luxurious materials or stacks of money, but in the sole fact we are surrounded by people who love us.

This Christmas Eve, before you extend your sorrows over a snowy bridge as George Bailey did, do not pity yourself, but pity those that lack love or loved ones in their lives. Reflect on the joys and good friends you surround yourself with each day and embrace the fact that you truly do have a wonderful life.