18 Pro Tips For Surviving In Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Finding that sense of community is everything in a big city like Baton Rouge.

397

Whether you're a lifelong native who knows the roads like the back of your hand or a new resident, just trying to figure out how to get to Walmart, there are a few things to know about navigating the eclectic city of Baton Rouge.

1. Accept that you will mostly likely never get anywhere fast.

This was my first (and hardest) lesson I had to learn upon my arrival. Make sure to plan an extra 15 minutes regardless of where you're going. Several of the key roads, especially around LSU's campus are only two-lane. This means that if someone gets in an accident, even a fender-bender, you could be stagnant for over 30 minutes.

2. Keep in mind the best and worst times to be on the road as well as which roads to take.

Be aware of the times elementary to high schools head to school, and get out of school. These are key times to avoid being on the road. Right after 5 until close at 7 o'clock, the majority of the roads are packed with people trying to get home just like you. Remember to be patient and gracious. Stay off the two-lane roads, as previously mentioned, like Highland Road, College Drive, Stanford and Lee if at all possible.

Mini pro tip #1 Even the interstate coming into Baton Rouge gets insanely backed up. If you take an exit onto a downtown street like Government or Laurel, believe it or not, you'll cut at least 45 minutes of wait time out of your drive home!

Mini pro tip #2 Get an idea of events going on in the city, so you know which roads will potentially be blocked off or backed up.

3. Attend some of those events!

Baton Rouge is one of the largest and most active cities in our beautiful state! Buy some of the lifestyle magazines, and decide on some awesome activities such as marathons, festivals, concerts, and sporting events!

Mini pro tip #3 Check more local venues such as The Varsity for a more intimate musical experience!

4. Find the perfect radio station (FM104.1).

Now, I know we are used to listening to our online playlists, but there's something about listening to the radio with locals advertisements as well as local news that makes you feel up-to-date and even a little sophisticated

5. Check out the farmer's market.

The Baton Rouge farmer's market is unlike any I've ever seen! Every Saturday from 8-12, the farmer's market in downtown reminds people the perks and happiness in buying locally! There's a joy in seeing the vendors exhibit their hard work to excited customers who are ready to indulge. You'll get to meet people, understand their stories, all while trying some to-die-for grub!

Mini pro tip #4 The earlier you can get there, the better! While the market closes at 12, most vendors start packing up by 11:30.

6. Start volunteering.

Get involved with a local organization that helps you give back to the community. This will help you cultivate a pride in our city!

7. Understand the weather is unpredictable.

Louisiana has some of the craziest weather in all the nation, so make sure to always have an umbrella and jacket close by!

8. Know you'll meet so many people who are very different from you.

Living in Baton Rouge has allowed me to experience things through the eyes of someone very different from myself. There are so many different cultures and subcultures that span the width of this city, it's impossible not to meet someone new every day! While we may not all be the same, we are still connected by this gorgeous city.

9. Find yourself the perfect coffee shop to relax and unwind.

For me, having a coffee shop as my escape is the best way to unwind after a long week. Often the best kind of coffee shops are a little more hidden away, but once you find them, you won't be able to live without them! Shops like Garden District Coffee and Magpie are great places to start!

10. Or find the perfect bar!

For some, the best kind of unwinding comes with a cold beer or mixed drink in hand. Downtown Baton Rouge has some of the most popular bars in town that often sell locally brewed beer! Whether you want to dance or just listen to some cool music while sipping on a cool drink, Baton Rouge has the bar for you!

11. Get to know your bubble.

When coming to school at LSU, I was overwhelmed trying to understand all the different subdivisions of this city. However, after a few weeks, I got to know my ten-mile bubble like the back of my hand, making me feel so much more comfortable and at home. This was so critical in helping me fall in love with this city. I now can confidently show visiting friends and family some of what Baton Rouge is to me!

Mini pro tip #5 Find easy take-out/delivery places on the days you just want to stay inside.

Mini pro tip #6 Know the restaurant nights they do special deals; Umami has four dollar sushi from 4-7 on weeknights!

12. Never stop exploring.

One of the most exciting things about this city, is there's always somewhere you haven't been before; this means there's always something new to try! Baton Rouge is a versatile city that is ever changing, and you never know what you'll find going an extra five miles down the road! Let the only reason you're at home be to rest for your next adventure!

Idea: Try a new (not a chain) restaurant every Friday.

13. Learn to love the LSU lakes, even if it's a 5-mile walk.

One of my favorite parts about Baton Rouge is the gorgeous walk around the lakes. Park at the small beach on Stanford Avenue, and start your journey! You'll walk through gorgeous, historic neighborhoods, past parts of LSU's campus including Sorority Row, and back to your small beach from which you started. It's the perfect way to get some exercise with a view!

14. Learn to love all things LSU.

Baton Rouge breathes and thrives on LSU culture, especially when it comes to football season! Even if you're not a student here, LSU has something that can interest you and get you involved with the school. Sports, academics and special events are not to be missed on this campus!

Mini pro tip #7 Take a walking tour through campus to really understand its history and beauty!

15. Make yourself a "regular" somewhere.

There's nothing quite like walking into your favorite restaurant only to see the welcoming faces of people who know your order and your story by heart. Finding somewhere to be a "regular" at will give you a sense of belonging you never knew you were missing!

16. Show some southern hospitality.

Here in the South, we often take our southern hospitality for granted. Take a minute to invest in people, ask how they are really doing, and don't be afraid to be that excited over your morning vanilla latte. That extra smile or investment in someone's day can make a world of difference. Take the time to enjoy people's kindness towards you as well; make time to talk and time to listen

17. Don't be afraid to find somewhere you connect with people.

As I'm sure it's evident from these other points, getting involved and finding that sense of community is everything in a big city like Baton Rouge. Whether it's a church group, coffee house, sports club, workout group, knitting group or volunteer group Baton Rouge has all the tools for plugging into your city.

18. Get to know downtown by heart... Or get lost in its beauty!

Downtown has become on of my favorite aspects of this gorgeous city. With views that could make a postcard, the downtown area is always full of life and adventure. There's always a new mural or shop looking for your attention; don't be afraid to stop and smell the roses or even catch up on some Louisiana history with the Capitol Building, Louisiana History Museum, or the USS Kid.

Baton Rouge is a city that begs to be invited into your heart, however before you even realize it, you'll be cherishing every road, mural, and aspect. So, make sure if you are just arriving or have been here forever that you look at our city and use these tips in making it your home!

The Lodges at 777 is your home away from home located mere minutes from Louisiana State University. We offer a variety of unit styles and apartment sizes ranging from 1 to 5 bedrooms and can easily accommodate your housing needs. This community is designed with students in mind. It’s the perfect place to relax after class in the resort-style pool, cook in our outdoor kitchen, stay active in the gym, or on our basketball and volleyball courts, use our quiet study rooms and business center for studying or walk around our multiple lakes. Our spacious units, private balconies, oversized windows, and stainless steel appliances make The Lodges at 777 the best off-campus housing option in Baton Rouge. The Lodges at 777 offers both furnished and unfurnished options with individual leases and roommate matching! Being just minutes from the LSU campus gives you the option to bike or take advantage of the complimentary LSU shuttle service on one of our two Tiger Trails Bus Stops. Take a look yourself, and see all The Lodges at 777 has to offer.

www.thelodges777.com (225) 663-6477 777 Ben Hur Rd, Baton Rouge LA 70820