Anyone Complaining About Baker Mayfield's Flag Plant Needs A History Lesson | The Odyssey Online

Anyone Complaining About Baker Mayfield's Flag Plant Needs A History Lesson

Trust us, it's important.

371
YouTube

Recently, those who watch ESPN or any other sports networks have seen the uproar that hit the sports world following the OU/Ohio State football game two weeks ago. After the game, to celebrate their win, Baker Mayfield, the quarterback for the University Of Oklahoma “planted” the Oklahoma flag in the middle of the “O” in the middle of the Ohio State football field. This event, which was meant to be harmless ended up being one of the controversial events so far this college football season. Ohio State fans could be seen complaining to social media, as well as some sports news anchors and reporters. From here, false information about Baker Mayfield "taunting" Ohio State fans during the game began to circulate, which almost forced Mayfield to have to make a public apology to the fans of the Ohio State football team.

In the video press conference where Mayfield addressed the issue, he stated that OU was embarrassed last year when Ohio State sang their fight song after the game on OU's turf in Norman, which was probably the same way Ohio State was feeling. He also said, that because Ohio State had been predicted to win the game, OU came out on top and the football team, like the rest of the Sooner Nation chose to celebrate. Later on, in the week, he formally addressed the Buckeye Nation, admitting that he should have done it in the locker room rather than in the middle of the field and that he did not mean to disrespect them at all. He also explained that he respects Ohio State and its program, but simply got caught up in the moment. But of course, like every issue, social media is divided. As an OU fan, and a student at the University Of Oklahoma, anyone who is also an OU fan, or a resident of Oklahoma can agree that, if anyone complains about Baker "planting" the flag on the field at Ohio State needs a major history lesson.

To take us back to our history classes, Oklahoma could be called the heart of the land run. It is part of our history and who we are, simply because, prior to being the state we have today that is Oklahoma, Oklahoma was just the Indian Territory, populated by Native American Tribes from the trail of tears.

The Map Of Indian Territory, since Oklahoma didn't become a state until 1907

The name Sooners comes from those individuals who went out early before the land run in 1889 actually started and claimed land for themselves. Staking your claim essentially meant doing what Baker did at the Ohio State game; sticking a flag in the ground and calling it yours. In addition to the name the Oklahoma Sooners, you can also see the idea of this rich history in the University's Mascots, the horses' Boomer and Sooner and the Sooner Schooner. The Sooner Schooner is just a smaller version of the wagons that people used in the land run in 1889.

In addition, in the past, OU had a Native American Indian Warrior which they called "Little Red" that acted as another part of the unique history of the state of Oklahoma. "Little Red" would do a war dance around the field, in addition to the RufNeks pulling the schooner.

"Little Red" and Pistol Pete, the OSU Mascot in 1967

Part of the rich history of the University Of Oklahoma is understanding how significant it is to the past of the state of Oklahoma. The school prides itself on its football and educational programs, and to create good quality sportsman. For this reason, anyone who believes Baker Mayfield needed to apologize needs to think about his school and its' roots.

I almost forgot....

BOOMER SOONER!