My Bad Day Music Playlist | The Odyssey Online

My Bad Day Music Playlist

Who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade?

75
My Bad Day Music Playlist
Rene Ritchie

Everyone has a day in their life every so often where they don't feel like themselves. It could be because of the weather, getting a bad grade, or just waking up on the wrong side of the bed. I cope with my off days by listening to lots of music (and sleeping). Today, I am sharing my playlist for a bad day.

1. Anything by Sara Bareilles

If you know me at all, it's no surprise that I would choose this for the first item on my list. Sara Bareilles has written so many different songs that evoke a lot of different messages. Some are upbeat and some are more calm and soothing. "Gravity" is a personal favorite when I just need a good cry, and "King of Anything" gets me singing along every time.

2. Anything by Rachel Platten

A more recent discovery of mine was Rachel Platten's album "Wildfire". It has a bunch of amazing songs that make me smile. "Better Place" is a really sweet number, while "Beating Me Up" has an edgier vibe.

3. "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" by The Script

I've been listening to this song over and over on bad days because it's a classic number that just calms me down. I love The Script but this song is especially amazing because of the simplicity of it.

4. "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers

These songs were on my very first iPod when my entire family shared an iTunes library. My parents loved these songs and I had listened to them one day and fell in love as well. They really get the anger out of my mind when I hear the hard drums and cutting vocals.

5. "The Words" and "All That Matters" by Christina Perri

Two of Perri's slower numbers, these songs make me cry. I sit back and imagine a story that is being portrayed within each song. "All That Matters" is a great wedding song I think, and weddings make me happy, so it's an all around recipe for mending a bad day.

6. The Hamilton cast recording (duh)

I'm going to be chastised for writing this, but I listen to the cast recording of Hamilton even when I'm not having a bad day. "Satisfied" and "Burn" are probably the two songs I like most when I'm upset. I'm not a huge fan of every song on every day, but there is a huge variety that I listen to different songs when I am in different moods.

7. The "Begin Again" soundtrack (only Keira Knightley's songs)

One of my absolute favorite movies, Begin Again has beautiful songs sung by an equally beautiful Keira Knightley. I had no idea before seeing the movie that she could sing, but every single song of hers on the album makes me elated. Her voice is sweet and soothing, and I don't mind if she isn't the best singer out there. It's raw and honest.

8. The Next to Normal cast recording

Next to Normal is probably my favorite Broadway show (even though I never saw it live). I love the mixture of manic and depressive songs weaved throughout the recording because it emphasizes Diana's struggle with bipolar disorder. So many of the songs speak to me, even though I am not going through the same thing as the Goodman family. "Superboy and the Invisible Girl" is a particularly sad revelation that I sympathize with when I'm feeling bad about myself. "I Am the One (Reprise)" makes me cry every time (and if you know the song, you know why). The whole story is beautiful and sad, and it makes for a great crying session.