Back To School Tips For College Freshman | The Odyssey Online

Back To School Tips For College Freshman

College is the best time of your life, so do it right.

47
Psychology Today

Since school is starting today, I thought I'd share some back to school tips. Freshman, take my advice, college is hard and this could really help you! I've learned a thing or two in my four (soon to be five) years of college

1. Don't stay up too late

I know, you're finally free to do what you want without your parents telling you what to do, but you'll really miss that sleep when you're sitting in class trying to take notes.

2. Go to class

Some teachers don't have an attendance policy so it'll be really tempting to skip, but it is in your best interest that you still go. If you don't, you'll miss vital information for tests or even miss the tests themselves. Just go.

3. Get involved

I know school is overwhelming at times, but you'll be extremely bored if you don't get involved. Find a club or social group that you want to be a part of and join it! It's also a great way to meet new people!

4. Don't procrastinate

If you have something due Friday, don't wait until Thursday night. Something else could come up (and it usually does) or you end up cramming all your homework in one night and you don't end up doing your best work.

5. Form real study groups

Study groups can be a great thing when done the right way. Don't get in a group and just talk or gossip the whole time. Actually study. That's why it's called a STUDY group, not a GOSSIP group.

6. Don't go home between classes

As much as you may want that nap, you really won't want to get back up and leave again. Find something to do on campus instead.

7. Don't party on weeknights

If you're underage, you shouldn't be partying anyway unless you're not drinking, but if you do as many others do, don't do it during the week. You'll probably be miserable the next day and definitely won't want to class, which, as I went over earlier, will cause you to fail.

8. Try to eat healthy

I know it's hard, but try to eat healthy. Freshman 15 is a real thing (or freshman 30 for some of us). Many campuses will have healthy options for those that will actually take advantage of it.

9. Try to get some exercise

Even if it's just walking around campus for a little bit, try to get some sort of exercise. College is hard and if you struggle with anxiety or depression, it can seriously take a toll. Exercise may not be a cure, but it can help.

10. Communicate with professors

If you're sick or are going to miss class for any reason, let your professors know. Most of them are actually incredibly understanding and not actually scary at all. If you need help, just ask them. They're also willing to help and have office hours for a reason.

11. Have fun!

College is the best time of your life, so enjoy it! Don't spend all your time studying and not going on adventures or enjoying yourself. I know good grades look good on a job résumé, but you know what looks good in an interview? People skills, which you usually get by going out and having fun! So give yourself an occasional break. You deserve it.