Attention: College Freshmen | The Odyssey Online

Attention: College Freshmen

Good luck to all of you as you take these next big steps on your crazy life journey, and happy packing!

2
Attention: College Freshmen

Excitement. Nervousness. Fright. Joy. Curious. Nostalgic.

These words are amongst the thousands of different feelings I am sure all of you recent graduates are feeling. You now have the world at your finger tips and you can quite literally become whoever you want to be whether its more outgoing, studious or just learning what really interests you. As you start to pack up the miscellaneous gifts from your graduation party take a break to read my top pieces of advice for new college students.

Get Involved

When you go to college it can become very easy to simply want to stay cooped up in your dorm, Netflix binge, and be anti-social. I understand it can be hard to make new friends especially when you go off to college and your old “besties” or “bros” are no longer at at your side. The good news is there are countless clubs and organizations that anyone can join. If you have interest in rodeos, photography, singing, sports, or even squirrels I guarantee there will be a club related to it so go ahead and join one or two or maybe even three! Joining campus groups helps you meet new people, build career connections, and can help make you more productive.

Greek Life
Going greek can definitely open doors and help you find a new home. If you are going to go through the recruitment process in a couple weeks do not let it scare you. It can get pretty overwhelming at times with so many girls all talking and trying to learn more about you in twenty minutes or so. Remember to make your own decisions throughout the recruitment process. If some of your friends you’ve just made in your first week decide to drop don’t do it just because they did. On the other hand, if you discover that the greek life just isn’t for you or you can’t afford it, I can promise you that you will be okay. I know first hand that you will still always have something to do, sometimes too much to do, and will make just as many friends!

Packing
If you’re like me and feel like you need you’re entire wardrobe at college, then this is the packing strategy for you. Put the bundles in a large suitcase, and just send the suitcase back with your parents! Another great trick is putting a rod in the backseat of your car and hanging clothes on that for easy transfer into your new home. It’s okay to bring a few pictures of your high school friends, but make sure you leave room for memories of your new friends and life. I also thinks it helps rid of homesickness when you’re not seeing pictures of your old friends on the daily. A few other necessities I discovered were Lysol wipes, paper towels, febreze, extension cord, door stop, zip lock bags (to store food from the dining hall), and a drawer organizer. When I went off to college I realized how much messes and clutter bother me. When everything is cleaned up and in its own place it really boosted my mood (and makes for a happy roommate). On a side note, make your bed when you first get there so you don't have to late at night when you're already exhausted from moving everything in and meeting new people.

The Freshman 15
The “freshman 15” is a VERY real thing. However, if you commit to working out a few times a week and not falling to those late night pizza or ice cream cravings, you can easily keep off the weight. You’ll find that you walk a lot more in college simply having to get from class to class or your next meal. Also, don’t forget to eat either. The “15” can go either way, and while we all want to lose a few pounds you should always keep your health in mind.

Homesickness
This isn’t something that everyone feels, but it’s wise to respect those that have to deal with it. I highly suggest not going home at least for your first month or two. I don’t miss home very much because the longer I stay away the easier it is because my mind is more focused on my life at college than what I had at home. This is likely your first time being away from your parents for an extended period of time which can take a toll, but you will never grow up if you don’t move out and move on. An occasional call home can make things all better too. It can really make or break someone’s college experience so if you have a friend who struggles with this please help him or her out and make them feel more at home so they don’t leave!

Be Yourself
If there’s a party go to it. Or don’t. If that’s not the crowd you want to be in then I guarantee there is someone who feels the exact same. Don’t want to drink? That’s fine too. You are no longer stuck with the same choices of people for friends. Talk to people in your class, on your floor, or even on your way to class. You will find people who are more alike you than any of your old friends because college will allow you to become the person you really want to be. The great thing about college is everyone understands how nice a night in feels. We all need a break from the constant contact we have with people; especially when you are a freshman living in the dorms. You will almost never have any alone time while you are living in the dorms, which can be fun, but it’s important to take time for yourself or else you might go crazy. Above all, my best piece of advice is to be yourself. Find out what genuinely makes you happy. There’s no need to conform so why not go out there, be weird, and be the real you.