How To Conquer Your Freshman Year | The Odyssey Online

How To Conquer Your Freshman Year

15 Tips From A Sophomore

45
How To Conquer Your Freshman Year

College is said to be the best four years of your life. Freshman year is the beginning of this once-in-a-lifetime journey. The only person that can stop you from achieving your ideal experience is you. Your slate is wiped clean when you step foot on campus that first day. When you say goodbye to your parents after they have help you move in, when you truly understand freedom for the first time in your life. You will learn more about yourself freshman of college year than you did through all of high school. I like to say your freshman year is like a trampoline. It can either catapult you to success or cause you to crash.

To make the jump a little easier for you, here some solid advice.

1. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

As soon as you get on campus, you are going to have to make a very important decision. You can have the mindset of playing it safe, or you can risk it for the biscuit. Everyone is different and unique, but please diversify yourself your freshman year. Keep an open mind. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. This is usually when you the grow the most. Whether that means taking a class that will expand your mind, telling your friends from high school you have plans with someone else for a night or studying abroad, get uncomfortable. It's not easy, but it will open up doors you would have never had access to in the first place.

2. Network like no other during your first month.

The beauty of freshman year is that everyone is in the same boat. Every single student is looking to broaden their horizons. Don't be afraid to branch out. The worst that can happen is rejection. Ninety-nine percent of the time people are more than willing to give you the time of day if you put yourself out there. When you are eating lunch in the dining hall or find yourself in a large lecture, sit next to someone new. You would be surprised at what could happen. I met one of my best friends freshman year when I asked if I could sit next to him in a lecture. Why is this especially important in the first month? Once October rolls around, the window is closing to meet new people. People become content within their groups, and you don’t want to get stuck on your own boat. I don't mean just fellow students either. Build relationships with your professors and faculty within your area of study. “Network” might be the most important word for freshman year.

3. Get involved early, but don’t spread yourself to thin.

It is important to get involved on campus. There are several hundred organizations on every campus. I promise there is a club that matches your interests. If there isn’t, you can start your own. Be a part of something bigger than yourself. Don't sit in your room and binge-watch Netflix. Maybe you want to join an organization that is centered around your major? Possibly a religious organization? Potentially you want to go Greek? College has it all. However, I do want to warn you about overexerting yourself. I joined way too many things, and it really took a toll on me first semester. You can only dive so deep with so many affiliations. It is better to be heavily involved in one, than a casually attendee at three. Find that balance.

4. Make a conscious effort to prioritize your time.

It is a Tuesday afternoon. You have 15 minutes left in your lecture, and you are beyond bored. Instead of checking Twitter or Instagram, plan out the rest of your day. In college, you have to plan ahead or you will miss out. Think about what potential meetings you have that night, if you have enough time in your schedule for the gym, and think about what time you are going to eat dinner. Who are you going to eat with? Always think ahead. Your mom won’t be there to tell you when to do something. Planners help a lot for some people, but I like to use the calendar app on my phone. You do you, but make this a priority.

5. Attend sporting events.

Die-hard fan or not, have the time of your life at sporting events. If you have free time, get a group together and go to a football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, [insert several other sports] games. Sit in the student section. Sing the fight song at the top of your lungs. Take part in festivities before and after games. Throw up your school's sign. Get rowdy. Nothing beats a boisterous student section and sharing those experiences with fellow students.

6. Adventure around and off campus.

Get away from the monotony of routine and explore what your university has to offer. Take a day trip to a tourist spot. Go on a hike. Travel around the city you happen to find yourself in when fall semester rolls around. You will make a myriad of memories on campus, but that should not stop you from feeding your adventurous side. I try to do one thing out of the ordinary per semester. In the spring I went cliff-jumping at Wet Beaver Creek. It helps to get your mind off of school and will renew your mind.

7. Take naps when necessary.

There are going to be days when you are physically, emotionally, psychologically [insert other adverbs that end in –ally] torn. Take naps, plain and simple. They are the real MVP. Maybe you were up till 3:00 a.m. completing an assignment, but have a 10:00 a.m. class the next morning. If you have any time after that class to nap and get refreshed do not hesitate to take advantage. Naps are revolutionary, game-changing, and most importantly, free. A nap a day keeps stress away.

8. Don’t spend all of your M&G in the first month.

Every university has their own form of dollars or points. You have to be careful not to spend your entire allowance right out of the gate. At Arizona State, we call them Maroon and Gold dollars. I have had friends spend $350 M&G in one month. From Starbucks to Chick-fil-A to Qdoba, it might be tempting to waste those dollars. It does not feel like real money because it came with your meal plan, but just be smart about it. These dollars will decline fast. Nothing is worse than realizing you have squandered your inheritance to the delicious food and beverage options outside of the monotonous dining hall. One last thing, late-night Domino’s runs will kill you! But their cinnamon sticks are so good ...

9. Fight the Freshman 15. It is the real deal.

It is true. We have all heard about it, and you never think that it would be you until you hop on the scale. The freshman 15 is sneaky. All those late-night binges with your friends catch up to you. You could be the next victim unless you take action. Take advantage of the fitness complex. The gym equips you with the tools to choose a healthy lifestyle. However, you have to motivate yourself to take advantage of rec center, the intramurals and the campus as a whole. Be active and stay fit your freshman year.

10. Please don’t buy your textbooks at the bookstore.

So, my first semester rolled around, and I hadn’t bought textbooks for my classes. I went to the bookstore and ended up paying upwards of $600 for six classes. That was the biggest mistake I made my first semester. Second semester rolled around, and I was better educated about the process. First, look at your textbook list for your upcoming classes and see which books you are going to need. Some say to wait to see if you need those books for certain, but I would recommend either emailing your professor or talking to them on the first day of class about the required textbooks to get the ball rolling. Second, look online for the books you need. I love to rent my books for the semester from Amazon, but there are other sites as well as apps that let you search for books students might be selling. Third, buy the books prior to the date your professor says you need them. Use the bookstore as a last resort. Do not make my mistake, do some research and save some money.

11. Go to class to pass.

It is very easy to skip class in college. You couldn’t do that in high school, but now it is a different ballgame. You might do it once or twice — we all do — but if you want to succeed in your classes, attend your classes. That is the whole point of college. You pay tuition, which goes to your professors, so you might as well listen to what they have to say. You are even paying room and board so that you are closer to your classroom, so you can go to class. That one class you skip could be the class where your teacher gives away answers to the test, provides extra credit or gives a pop quiz. You never know, so be smart about it.

12. Utilize the variety of assets available to you.

Several students are unaware of the plethora of resources at their fingertips. For starters, there are tutors for pretty much every class out there. If there aren't, ask a friend that has taken the class or might be in the class with you. Tutoring is beneficial because it will help you absorb material easier and will better prepare you for exams. It could be the difference between an A and a B. Also, your professor is required to have office hours where students can come in and ask for help. Take advantage of this resource. Not only will you get on their good side, but they are the ones that make the exams. They know the answers and are more than willing to help. Furthermore, seek guidance from your academic advisor. Whether it be for advice on classes to take or what your future semesters will look like, they are there for your personal success.

13. Try your best not to procrastinate.

Stress is not fun to deal with. Procrastination will fuel your stress to unprecedented levels. We have all been guilty of procrastinating on something in our lives. My advice is to be active in dealing with this dangerous habit. If an assignment is due a week from now, try to split it up into different intervals. Make mini-deadlines to stay on top of it. It will save you time, worry and future regret. The same goes for exams. Your grade in college is based on multiple examinations. Do not cram. It worked in high school, but college is far more rigorous.

14. Find a personal place to study.

Every college has hidden gems scattered around campus. It is important to find that spot for yourself. Where are you most productive? Inside or outside? Around others or in complete solitude? I know I can't focus outside or around friends, so I found a hidden corner in the library. I might as well put a sign on the wall that says "Payne's Paradise." Anyway, you will save yourself a lot of energy if you find a place where you know you can be productive.

15. Don’t lose sight of why you came to college.

Freshman year is a time for growth and exposure. Just make sure you keep your head in the game. Have your fun, but at the end of the day, get your stuff done. Nothing sucks more than seeing friends dropout after their freshman year because their scholarship did not get renewed, or they failed out. Your primary aim should be academic success. The rest of your college experience should be a byproduct of this sole focus.

Get ready for the craziest roller coaster ride of your life. Freshman year is a blast, but just make sure you stay strapped in. Hope this helped. Be bold, young freshman!