My Personal Experience Using A Mobile Medical Appointment App

After experiencing it myself, I think that it should be.

27

Over the last several years, nearly every industry has become available not only as a brick and mortar anymore, but also online. One industry that you don't hear as much about being online and, more specifically, available as an app, is medical care. However, numerous medical professionals have started making their services available online. Of course, if it's an immediate medical emergency, you should call 911 or head to the hospital, but they do have appointments for minor things. Services like this have become increasingly more popular for several different reasons, the biggest one being that it's much more convenient for people living busy lifestyles or for people, you know, not wanting to leave their perfect weekend Netflix binge *ahem*.

As a real life example, I recently tried out a new app called Spruce. Spruce is a medical mobile phone application where you answer a detailed number of questions about your symptoms and medical history (it also gives the option for you to take a picture of the affected area) that is sent to a real life dermatologist for their diagnosis. You don't get just any dermatologist either! They will use your zip code to find one near you so that you can not only use their mobile app but, if needed, you can also make an in person appointment.

When I first opened the app, I noticed that it looked really nice and was extremely simple to use. This is always good, especially for not-so-tech-savy people such as myself. It starts out by asking you what your issue is. Some of the options they list are: acne, anti-aging, skin discoloration, rash, cold sores, etc. Once you make a choice, it takes you to more detailed medical questions ("Is it painful?" "Has it gotten worse within the last 6 months?" "Have you had noticeable hormonal changes?" etc.). After this, you pretty much just list out your medical history, sign up, and pay the always mandatory $40 for the appointment (yep, that's right, only $40! Pretty sweet, huh?). After this, your submission will be sent to one of the dermatologists and you'll hear back from them within 24 hours, although I heard back from mine within almost 4 hours.

At first, I gotta admit, I was skeptical. I was thinking, "This is going to be a sham. There's no way a doctor can give me a good enough, thorough treatment through a mobile app." However, I have to admit, I was completely wrong. After your doctor responds, you have an instant messaging section pop up between you and your doctor (which, by the way, you will have access to for 30 days after your appointment to ask more questions/advice if needed). Your doctor will either ask you more questions to get a bit more information about your condition or they will just send you their diagnosis and ask where to send your prescription.

In my case, she sent me a long description of my diagnosis and sent my diagnosis straight to my pharmacist. On this app, medical insurance works just the same with prescriptions as it would at a normal doctor's office. Your doctor will generally follow up after 30 days to see how things went and, depending on the medication, you may have the option to renew your prescription through your doctor.

Overall, I found the experience to be really simple and smooth! The doctor was extremely thorough and paid attention to every detail of my answers. Not only was it a fantastic experience and fun to use, but my treatment also worked (which is the best part)! After using Spruce and seeing how easy and enjoyable online medical services can be, I definitely plan on using other online medical apps in the future.

Visit Spruce for your first visit.