UFC 197—Jones Vs. Saint Preux

UFC 197—Jones Vs. Saint Preux

The Return of Jon Jones, Johnson's reign continues, and more.

7
UFC 197—Jones Vs. Saint Preux
mmanews.com

Last weekend, UFC197 turned in a dynamite night topped with the return of Jon Jones.

Carla Esparza keeps herself in the top flights of the UFC Strawweight division, though unfortunately without a foreseeable fight as her last was to the champion, after beating Juliana Lima via Unanimous Decision on the undercard.

Yair Rodriguez continues to scare the MMA world, this time by the tune of a nasty flying roundhouse kick straight out of a Chuck Norris Walker, Texas Ranger episode to KO fan-favorite Andre Fili. This was Rodriguez's first official UFC finish, and improves his record to 7-1 (4-0 UFC).

Former UFC Lightweight Champion Anthony Pettis lost his third straight fight, against the offensive savage that is Edson Barboza. The former champ looked slower and was picked apart over the course of the fight by Barboza’s well-rounded Muay Thai striking. Barboza puts himself in the running for a title-fight or contender-fight with his performance, winning by Unanimous Decision.

In the co-main event, one of the pound-for-pound best fighters on the planet continued his run of dominance in the UFC Flyweight division as Demetrious Johnson got his first T/KO since December of 2013. 2008 Olympic Champion Henry Cejudo did his best, but was not enough for the master Mixed Martial Artist in Johnson. After Cejudo landed a picture-perfect inside-trip, Johnson scrambled off his back to make it to his feet. During the ensuing flurry, Johnson landed a couple measured knees to the body of Cejudo. Moving to the cage-clinch, Johnson continued to pepper Cejudo with Ong Bak-style Muay Thai knees from ridiculous angles. Unfortunately for Cejudo, his attempts to pummel underhooks in on Johnson repeatedly exposed his body to the onslaught, and Johnson was able to body-rock Cejudo and drop his hands. In the pocket, Johnson landed a crisp right-elbow and left knee to the head to rock the Olympic Champion on his feet. The follow-up by DJ would be all she wrote.

In the main-event, Jon Jones returned in promising shape as he showed some rust in dominating Ovince Saint Preux. Word is that OSP suffered a broken arm after the second round and still went the distance with Jones. Nonetheless, Jones fought a strategic fight, not pulling the trigger in a couple positions where it seemed the finish would be inevitable. Jones suggested the late-notice change in opponents from Daniel Cormier to OSP did affect his performance. Be that as it may, Jon Jones dominated OSP in every facet, getting hit a handful of times by OSP’s left-hand, but never in any serious danger. OSP was able to defend Jones’s wrestling early, but his defense would crumble in the later rounds. Jones grabbed a Unanimous Decision, improving to 10-0 in UFC title fights. A meeting between Jones and Cormier to unify the Light Heavyweight title is slated for UFC 200.

Post-fight, the controversy continued in the Jones-Cormier saga,