3 Ed Sheeran Songs That Prove He's An A-Team Lyricist

The British singer with an incredible wit, and incredible voice.

34
Indian Express

Throughout the past five years there have been many artists from the UK that have left their musical mark in the US. Some include Ellie Goulding, One Direction, Little Mix, Sam Smith, and Adele. Of all the artists that have had hit singles, one of the best is Ed Sheeran. Ed Sheeran is able to attract his fans with his humble personality, with his catchy and unique melodies, and most notably, with his brutally honest, and in most cases, romantic lyrics. Here are some of the lyrics that make Ed Sheeran such a standout song writer.

1. Wake Me Up

"So I’ll take you to the beach/ And walk along the sand/ And I’ll make you a heart pendant/ With a pebble held in my hand/ And I’ll carve it like a necklace/ So the heart falls where your chest is/ And now a piece of me is a piece of the beach/ And it falls just where it needs to be/ And rests peacefully/ So you just need to breathe/ To feel my heart against yours now.”

When I first heard this song, I fell in love with it. I loved how it told a story, and how honest, and almost random the entire song is. It changes subjects often, but he sticks to one main point, all the little details he notices about whomever he was writing about.

2. U.N.I.

"I don't get waves of missing you anymore/ They're more like tsunami tides in my eyes."

"U.N.I." is a song about a breakup between people that couldn't be solved, essentially because both people couldn't compromise. This specific lyric is one of the most popular of all Ed Sheeran songs, and I think it's because of the pun / analogy he used. He could've easily said, "I miss you a lot", but he used "tsunami tides", and that would be the last set of words a person would think of, it's so unique.

3. Be Like You

"Now, when I’m missing you, I’ll stop eating food/ And I’ll squeeze into a dress/ So I can be like you."

"Be Like You" is a song about a guy who wants to understand the girl he's with better. Essentially, Ed Sheeran sings about wanting to be in the girls literal body so the guy can see it through her own eyes. The guy in the song essentially just wants the girl to know she's loved, and that makes the song itself lovable.

These are just some of the songs from his earlier albums that made me fall in love with Ed Sheeran's music. All the songs we listen to today like "Thinking Out Loud", "The A-team", "Sing", and "Don't", they just keep getting better and better. Ultimately, Ed Sheeran's lyrics are so honest, and that's what makes him so relatable as an artist, and I can't wait until his next album is released.