An Open Letter To The Kids Who Had To Grow Up Too Fast

You learned to do it all on your own, and I'm sorry.

2407
Tumblr.com

To the amazingly strong person reading this, let me be the first to say this: I'm sorry.

I'm sorry you were forced to face the harshness of life so young. Having to grow up is hard enough, but having to do it so long before you are actually prepared is unfair.

"Growing up" has an entirely different meaning to you than it does to the rest of our generation. When most kids were playing dress up, you were helping your siblings get dressed and ready for school.

When most kids were making plastic food in their kitchen set, you were helping make dinner for your family because your parents were working or not around to do it, and you wanted to help in the only way you knew how.

When you got home from school, you became mom, dad, and teacher not only for your younger siblings but for yourself too.

You probably even learned how to do your own laundry before you were even big enough to see over the top of the machine so your parents had one less thing to do when they came home.

You had to figure everything out for yourself, and from a young age (for me, I was only 8), you probably learned that the people you loved, who you thought would live forever, wouldn't always be there.

My dad died of colon cancer when I was 8 years old. I can't remember a day at this point in my life (I'm now 21) where I don't wish I could pick up the phone, call him, and tell him about my day and ask for advice.

My mom, being the strong woman that she is, was always working to make sure I was fed and had everything I needed (and she still does). Despite that, I still learned how to cook, clean, and do laundry for myself because I didn't want her to worry.

For me, I was exposed to some of the worst pain the world could hit you with when I was barely old enough to know how to do multiplication tables.

I felt like the world was crumbling around me.

It took me several months before I even started to feel okay again, but I knew that I had to keep going, and just like everything else, I would figure things out along the way.

Now, 12 years later, I have continued to face situations that forced me to grow up even more.

Growing up too fast will always be something I had to do, but now, after so much time has passed, despite all the hurt and pain, I am just a little bit grateful for it.

I have met some of my best friends because we bonded over similar experiences, and we are still friends to this day.

So my fellow fast-tracked adults, I leave you with this:

1. You are stronger than the worst thing you have ever faced.

2. You have already done so much, and it's okay to let someone else take over for a while.

And most importantly, REMEMBER THIS:

3. You are never alone.

With all my love, best wishes, and brightest hopes for your future,

Sam.