An Open Letter To Seniors Thinking Of Going Out-Of-State For College

There are a few things to keep in mind while making your decision.

13

There are a lot of options when it comes to institutions of higher education: technical school, junior colleges, universities, et cetera. The choice is up to you. If you plan to go to a college or university out-of-state, there are, of course, a few things to consider.

When choosing where to go to college, I recommend not taking finances into account. I know, this may seem irresponsible, but finances can be dealt with when the time comes -- financial aid can be applied for, loans can be taken out, and scholarships can be administered (schools usually have a lot of scholarships that no one ever applies for and are never given out.) While the ability to afford college is extremely important, there are options available to help you get an education, regardless of where the school you attend is. In fact, some out-of-state schools may be cheaper than some of in-state institutions.

To be able to handle and appreciate living out-of-state for school, you have to be a certain kind of person: someone who doesn't need to be around their family all the time, or go home every weekend (or, you at least have to be willing to make these sacrifices). You have to be prepared to not see your family until winter break, spring break, and summer (it depends just how far you go from home, of course). Not seeing your family isn't necessarily a bad thing though; it allows you the time and space to grow as a person and find yourself as you mature into a more independent individual.

If you choose to go to college out-of-state, you'll be homesick a lot; you'll miss your family, friends, and most importantly, your pets. One of the best things about college is that no matter where you go, you're bound to make friends that become your family and make a small dorm room into a home away from home. As a student at a school five states away from my home, I've learned a lot about myself since I've been so far away from my family and friends. College gives you a sense of independence that allows you an environment to grow as a person. While any school can aid you as you grow into adulthood, I personally feel as though schools out-of-state allow you more space to be an individual and to find yourself. Where you go to college is a huge and difficult decision to make. The school you choose to go to will not only help you as you grow into the person you're meant to be, but will define who that person is. The people you meet will influence you in a way that will either be for better or for worse -- and you have a choice in that. But of course, you need to decide where you're going to go to school first. To anyone thinking about going out-of-state for college, I have one thing to say: it's worth it.