America's Exploding Head Syndrome | The Odyssey Online

America's Exploding Head Syndrome

Those loud noises you hear aren't just in your head.

5
America's Exploding Head Syndrome
The Duran

Let's be clear: I did not watch the presidential debate last week.

I have an excuse (I was in class at the time), but even if I didn't, I most likely would not have watched anyway. It's not that I don't care about politics; those who are close to me know I am very passionate about certain political topics. It mostly has to do with the fact that this election has lasted for what seems like an eternity, thanks to the 24-hour news cycle and incessant social media coverage.

Put simply, I cannot take any more of this election. I have begun to lose my sanity having to hear about the latest idiotic thing to come out of Donald Trump's shriveled lips. I become more and more infuriated every time someone makes sexist comments about Hillary Clinton (sadly, more than a few of my Facebook friends).

But my real problem is the fact that the citizens of this country tend to use debates like these to either reaffirm their choice in candidate or, perhaps much worse, help them to make up their minds about which candidate they are going to vote for. This method of research should not even be considered research at all; performance at a debate or two is no way to judge the merit of any candidate.

Who would've imagined we'd have gotten to this point - neither candidate is a great choice - but now we have to deal with the consequences we have brought upon ourselves. This election cycle has brought many a racist and woman hater out of the woodwork and pitted us against one another. No Facebook comments section is safe from the vitriol spewed every day against one side or another. The hot air balloons over at Fox News further add fuel to the fire with their impassioned rants against all that is unholy.

What is it about these candidates that people hate so much? Yes, I understand Hillary has trustworthiness issues and Trump basically has diarrhea of the mouth, but is it worth getting so heated over? I am all for calling out stupidity when I see it, but let's tone it down a little, please. You can't win an election based on hateful rhetoric alone (oh wait, you actually can).

I must remember that this election will be over in just over a month and that one of these people will become our next president. But until then, can we just take a step back and really reconsider how we approach the remainder of the election? In this age of exploding head syndrome, we must remember that sometimes it isn't worth getting so worked up over. Regardless of who wins, we will have to lie in the bed we've made whether we like it or not, so have some decency, America. I'm rooting for you.