American Isolation and Imperialism

American Isolation and Imperialism

Failing Expectations as a First World Country

36
American Isolation and Imperialism
The Intercept

“Ratings Machine DJT” certainly knows how to capture the attention of the beloved American people, and over the course of his life in the public eye he’s certainly proven to be a man entirely incapable of shedding himself from the spotlight. How else would he possibly be able to keep up such a stellar tan? Today however, rather than tug at our heartstrings with the weekly installments of celebrities raising money for charity, DJT seems only able to incite emotional reactions with his xenophobic and reactionary policies as President.Let’s back up for a moment. News of the Muslim Ban has certainly spread across the entire globe form the moment it was brought into existence via executive order. Since that pivotal moment I have seen many arguments both in favor and in opposition to the decision, as well as some officials debating whether the term “Muslim Ban” is correct or not. I would like to take a moment and explain my own perception of the situation, and why I believe many supporters of the ban are not being honest with themselves nor the American people. Yet, ere the central argument, I would also like to briefly address those who are currently grappling with the legitimacy of the term “Muslim Ban”. In December of 2015 Donald Trump, then only a presidential candidate, advocated for a “…a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States…” This, perhaps beyond all else, proves that the “Muslim Ban” was a proposition headed by Trump himself before anyone else. Further, the recent decision to block incoming individuals from seven Muslim majority countries is the real-world realization of that same idea. To argue otherwise is simply ridiculous.

With this lesser point hopefully clarified we can now move into analyzing the legitimacy of the policy itself. Of this feat I am certainly more apprehensive as I have yet to receive word of anyone altering their political alignment due to the suggestion of an online article written by a college student. Thus, I am either pandering to those who find themselves in agreeance with my own views or inviting those in dissent to leave mean comments below. Both options seem particularly infuriating to me. I will do my best to avoid stating whether the Muslim Ban is altogether wrong or right. I certainly acknowledge that this situation is supremely complicated, and attempting to address every aspect of importance is more worthy of a graduate level research paper rather than my online blog.There is only one primary distinction of the Muslim Ban which I would like to call into question. From the very beginning those who have been in favor of the ban have attempted to argue that the quarantine is necessary in order to ensure the American people remain safe from terrorist attacks. Let us not ignore the fact that the seven states chosen for the quarantine have never produced a terrorist which has struck in the United States. Statistics will certainly prove that Americans are more at risk of homegrown terrorism rather than any of the radicals which exist abroad. It is for this reason I consider the narrative of “protection against terrorism” as false front for an agenda that would not hold so kindly in the public eye.

I believe the Muslim Ban is primarily concerned with keeping Middle Eastern refugees out of the United States due to economic concerns. Certainly these concerns must be taken into consideration, for the United States (and every other country for that matter) have a limited amount of land, housing, food, various resources, etc. at their disposal. It would be utterly impossible to for the United States to bear the full weight of the refugee crisis, but nor should we be allowed to completely remove ourselves from the responsibility that should be expected from the leading world power. Despite the validity of the economic concerns it is certainly undeniable that an argument concerning American profit in time of a refugee crisis would be met with disdain, so the narrative is changed to fit a moral pursuit of fear and population protection.

I suppose my main argument is simple. As aforementioned The United States of America is the leading world super power, and as such bears a large array of responsibilities to the countries which find themselves less fortunate than ours. This feeling of responsibility has certainly been the cause of harm in the past. It is arguably the main reason there has been American military personal in the Middle East for the entirety of my life. Despite this, now is not the time to refuse help to those in need. This Muslim Ban is a cruel show of American isolation and unwillingness to help that is juxtaposed to the usual habit of American imperialism. If we cannot house a satisfactory number of refugees within our land mass, I’m sure there are other ways our national government can aid the process of those fleeing violent dictators and war-torn nations. We, the American people, need to ourselves to significantly higher expectations.