What The End Of American Idol Means For Our Generation | The Odyssey Online

What The End Of American Idol Means For Our Generation

Our Childhood Is Officially Over

27
Fox 13 Salt Lake City

It's official: Our childhood has ended. 

For many of us, American Idol was an essential part to our childhood or adolescence. We gazed up at TV. screens in wonder as we watched everyday people getting their big break. And if you're anything like I am, you couldn't wait to be the next Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood. We all had the dream to be big and to be known someday. At ten years old, I couldn't wait to be on American Idol when I grew up. And with the end of this iconic show, I also feel the end of my childhood creeping up on me. 

No longer do we have wide eyes at Simon Cowell's snarky remarks, but rather our wide eyes are directed towards our bills that we have to pay. We're not falling in love with the cutest guy on American Idol but rather with people whom we could spend the rest of our lives with. I just attended one of my friends from middle schools bridal showers last week and pretty soon I'll have to throw my best friend her bachelorette party. Where has the time gone? I swear we were just 10 years old yesterday, talking about how we couldn't wait to marry Ryan Seacrest.

Things just aren't the same anymore. We're growing up, and the world around us is changing. As much as I would love to go back to Kindergarten and take a nap everyday and go play at recess again, that can't happen. We have to grow up and move on. 

… without American Idol. 

That was for many of us a crutch. If all else failed, you could always go on American Idol and be discovered. It was the hope for a better future, our reassurance in the storm.

And while I know that we still have shows like the Voice, it's just not the same. We grew up with American Idol and now that it's over, it's starting to become evident that our childhoods are over too. 

We can hide in our Harry Potter books and coloring pages for as long as we want, but the time has come to put on our big kid pants and move up in the world.
But here's the cool part about that. 

We can change the world. We've always dreamed about what we would do someday, and now we're here. We don't like the way the world is working? Let's change it. Join an organization, help somebody in need, do SOMETHING. We can do it. And if you need a little motivation? Just tell yourself that Simon and Paula and Randy would've wanted you to do it. 

Our childhood may be over, but our lives are only beginning.