I Am Not Your Punching Bag | The Odyssey Online

I Am Not Your Punching Bag

One in three women experience domestic abuse. Don't be a statistic. Be the difference.

96
I Am Not Your Punching Bag

It's been a long day at work. She's tired and ready to come home to finally get off her feet and relax, but today she's taking the long way home. Not because she has a few other stops to make or a few friends to see. She only has him, and that's why she's taking the long way. She knows what she's coming home to, and as the tears pour down her freshly bruised cheeks, she can already feel the blows and pushes again. She thinks, "I am not your punching bag," but she can't help but prepare herself for what's to come. She's not ready to go home because it isn't her home — it's hell on Earth. It's domestic abuse, and it's a very real and f*cked up thing.

On average, 20 people are physically abused every minute in the United States. Approximately 10 million people experience abuse by their intimate partner every year. Why, why does this happen? Your 6'5" boyfriend thinks he's hot shit and can do whatever he wants because you're only 5 feet tall and can't stand up to him? No, actually, he can't. You're a human being. You deserve respect. You deserve love, to be touched tenderly. To feel safe. You shouldn't have to worry about coming home at night wondering how many times he's going to wail on you, or even if you're going to live to see the next morning.

Women are most likely to experience domestic abuse between the ages of 18 and 24. So, sit back for a second. Think of your friend group. Statistically speaking, one of you is being abused by the person who is supposed to "love" you. But unfortunately, some people aren't lucky enough to have someone who really does love and respect them.

I know what you're thinking: "OK, so you're getting abused, why don't you walk away?" HA, right. Picture your biggest, toughest friend. Picture them pinning you down on the ground, screaming in your face, punching you so many times you start to not even feel it. Enlighten me, how easy is it to walk away from that? So often in relationships where domestic abuse is evident, the abused depends on the abuser for everything. Food, shelter, money, everything. They don't have anyone else because they have pushed everyone out of their lives.

This isn't a topic to be taken lightly. So many people have been affected by domestic abuse, and some of them are people I hold close to my heart. When I first joined my sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, I only knew what my friends who were experiencing it had told me, but now I have learned so much more, and the main thing I have learned is that you are not alone. There are people out there who do love you and want to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. You aren't just a statistic; you are a real live person who should be able to live a life of happiness without having to watch your back every second.

If you (or someone you know) are a victim of domestic abuse, don't sit back. There are people who want to help you. Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE), or 911 for immediate help. You are not alone. You are strong. You are not a punching bag.