I Am An Ambivert

I Am An Ambivert

For those who find themselves in the middle.

3647
I Am An Ambivert
Slate.com

I love people. I love to talk to others, listen to what they want to say and spend time with them. Of course, my best memories are with my most amazing friends, the people that I grew up with and the community I surround myself with. I always thought that I was an extrovert, someone who is a completely outgoing, overly expressive person. I got my energy from people and I also recharged that energy around people as well. Needless to say, I was 100 percent an extrovert and fine with it.

Everything is good in moderation. Chocolate, exercise, binging watching a series on Netflix. But, I never considered that my interactions with others being "good in moderation." Since I was younger and was able to socialize, I always thought that I had to be the loudest, talkative and important person in the room. I felt as if I didn’t voice my opinion on every single little matter, than my voice would not be heard or acknowledged. I constantly felt the need to impress people and I did so by never shutting up.

However, over the last few years, I noticed a change in my behavior with others. I found myself not longing to be around people all the time anymore. It could've just been my behavior changing due to my surroundings, age, or past social experiences, but I didn’t think that was the case. I strongly believe that my attitude towards being around people was changing to meet more in the middle. And you know what? I was fine with it.

Of course, everyone says that college changes you. I can’t disagree with that statement but, I also can’t agree. I’m only a college freshman, and from what I’ve seen, college hasn’t changed me. College has made me more aware of who I am, what I am actually doing in this world, and who I want to be. It’s possible that college warped my behavior and personality, but I don’t think that it completely changed me. I’m still who I am, just with different viewpoints on certain matters.

With that being said, I noticed that I liked listening to people more than talking sometimes. When it came to social situations, I found myself voicing my opinion less. And I loved it. I didn’t feel like my opinion was not heard or acknowledged, in fact I felt like I was noticed more. My words seemed to have a stronger impact by the less that I said.

Aside from conversations, I noticed myself becoming more comfortable with being alone and enjoying it. I was enjoying my alone time and I actually felt better sometimes completing tasks on my own. No longer did I feel like I had to be around people and that was such a weight off my shoulders.

I decided to take a quiz, to really determine what I would call myself when it comes to interaction with others and having alone time with myself. I wanted to find out for sure if I was an extrovert, like I always have been or if I was an introvert, a newly found way of life.

After doing some choosing, I found a website that seemed suitable. Lonerwolf.com was the quiz that I had picked. They asked me 20 questions with the 1-5 rating scale of disagreement or agreement. I found myself sometimes having difficulty choosing some of my answers and simply opting for the middle.

My results were a 50 points, landing me right in the middle of the scale.

To be honest, I wasn’t shocked at all. I was actually kind of relieved. But, I didn’t know what ambivert meant. Lonerwolf.com labeled me as equanimous, flexible and easy going. They stated that I love to interact with people, but I also find myself preferring to relax and have downtime. I relate to other ambiverts such as John Lennon, Marilyn Monroe, Johnny Depp, William Shakespeare and Leonardo DiCaprio.

It seems as though they completely understood me and the mystery of my behavior and personality was solved. If you want to figure out where you are on the scale, I highly recommend taking the quiz. It opened up my mind and eyes to see myself as a happy medium. I love being who I am and I am not ashamed of having multiple qualities that make me unique.

I love interacting with people but that doesn't mean that I should engage in conversation all the time. I find ease in meeting in the middle, a healthy split between being an introvert and extrovert. Of course, some days I find myself being extremely social and other days, I lock myself in my room and forget about the world.

Whether you're an extrovert, an introvert or an ambivert, it is always good to go outside your comfort-zone every now and then. It's also good to know that any quiz does not define you, they are simply questions that you answer about yourself and then a computer tells you where you score on the scale. You define you, not any quiz. However, it's always interesting to know or find out things you weren't aware of before.

I live my life the way I want to live it, not the way anyone else tells me. If I want to be an introvert, I will be. If I want to be an extrovert, I will be. I choose where I want to go in life, who I am, and what I want to be. And you know what?

I am an ambivert and proud of it.