You Know You Grew Up In Albuquerque When... | The Odyssey Online

You Know You Grew Up In Albuquerque When...

"Anyone who grew up in the 'burque knows that they never learned how to navigate a city like a normal person."

365
keyword-suggestions.com

Home. This short, four letter word holds an intense amount of power behind it because, when heard, it will no doubt trigger waves of memories, emotions, and straight up feels that hit you with the force of a semi - or at the very least a mini cooper with a small family inside. As I once again go through the process of packing up all my belongings into several cardboard boxes, I can’t help but feel nostalgic about the place I call my home. Even though it may not be paradise, the city and its people share their very own unique quirks and attractions that make it, undeniably, just that - home. So, here is a shout out to the 'burque, the 5-0-filthy, the Q, Albuquirky; here are the standouts that make the one and only Albuquerque, New Mexico home.

The Sandia Mountains

You would be lost without them, literally. Anyone who grew up in the 'burque knows that they never learned how to navigate a city like a normal person; they get very confused when someone gives them directions such as go north or go west and such. In Albuquerque, all directions - to any given destination - are given in reference to their location of the Sandia Mountains (east) or the Rio Grande River (west).

The Rio Grande River

Ha! The Rio Pequeño River would be more accurate. Despite the fact our river shares more similarities with a stream than a river, Albuquerque just wouldn’t be Albuquerque without our slightly sad, yet beloved Rio Grande.

Frontier, Blake's, etc.

What a lot of non-New Mexicans don’t understand is that while Mexican food and New Mexican food share some similarities, they are not one in the same - they just aren’t. Also, if you do end up leaving Albuquerque, you realize that some of your staple dining spots are unique to New Mexico. Green chile cheeseburger or a breakfast burrito from Blake’s Lotaburger? A must. And don’t forget about Frontier; you are not a true 'burque resident until you’ve eaten and become addicted to this favorite local haunt. Also, order a coke here and they'll ask you if you want Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or any other form of soda they have - coke and soda are interchangeable here - that's all weird, huh?

Hatch Green Chile

Red or Green? Seeing as how this is New Mexico’s state question, you might say we take chile pretty seriously in the 505. When you leave, without a doubt, one of the first things you’ll miss is the Hatch green chile. There’s nothing quite like the excitement we get from seeing the chile roasters who start popping up outside of stores and along the road. You can order “green chile” in other states, but usually, it is something about as hot as a green bell pepper. You can be sure that almost all true New Mexicans save room in their suitcase for several cans of green chile when they leave.

The Sunsets

Albuquerque has always had stunning sunsets. Even though I’ve lived or visited places that also have spectacular sunsets, they are never as consistent as those in the 'burque. Did I mention those clouds, though?

The Sandia Tram

One of the best spots to view these sunsets is by taking our famous Sandia Peak Tram up to the top of the Sandia Mountains. You can ride the tram up and mountain bike or hike down, or just enjoy a scenic dinner at the restaurant at the top. Whether you’re looking for something fun to do with friends or a romantic night with that special someone, the tram does not disappoint.

No Travel Time

One of the best parts about Albuquerque is no traffic. In fact, you can get almost anywhere in the city in about 30 minutes or less. Seeing as how New Mexicans are notorious for their crazy driving, this is probably for the best.

The International Balloon Fiesta

One of the more spectacular aspects of growing up in Albuquerque was the balloon fiesta. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve woken up at 5a.m. and piled into a car to go and watch the balloons. All week long we get to enjoy the balloons that have traveled from all around the country and some from around the world. Since Albuquerque is fairly flat, you can see and enjoy these colorful balloons from almost anywhere you go!

Breaking Bad

Almost every single soul who lives in Albuquerque has been questioned about "Breaking Bad" at some point in their life. “Does everyone do meth? Have you seen Walter White's house? Did you throw a pizza on the roof?” If someone doesn’t ask about "Breaking Bad," you’ve probably been asked, “Hey, isn’t that where "High School Musical" was placed?” You betcha.

Although there are many more aspects to the 505 that help to give it the name Albuquirky, you get the general idea. It truly is - as the locals so "fondly" call it - the land of entrapment; because, even if you leave, you can’t seem to stay away for very long. No matter where life takes you or where you end up, you’ll always have a part of yourself that’s left in Albuquerque, NM. It’s just home.