'So What Are You Going To Do After College?' | The Odyssey Online

'So What Are You Going To Do After College?'

One of the most frequently asked questions in life.

25
Wikimedia

As I continue into my last year of my college career, the most frequent question I receive is: “So, what are you going to do after you graduate?” I have narrowed it down to a quick minute or two response.

“Well I have a three different options that I’m currently looking at. I have about three different opportunities to go and teach internationally. I could also have the chance to join the staff with CRU, which is the college ministry that I have been strongly involved in since my freshman year. I could even take a job anywhere in the country teaching.”

I've definitely been surprised by the reactions that I have received after my little preformulated response. Even when someone reacts positively, sometimes you can typically see when people aren’t pleased with it. I never know exactly what to do or say after seeing a displeased response. This is where I come in with my response about my backup plan:

"But if all my plans fall through, in talking with one set of my parents, they have so many different opportunities set up for me already."

Looks like I know what and where they would like me to be in a year. Now don’t get wrong I do appreciate when my parents are excited about my future, even when they seem more excited about what they have planned rather than what I've got up my sleeve.

As a people-pleaser, I know that it can make life quite difficult when it comes to big life decisions. Since I have two sets of parents, (my parents divorced and both remarried when I was young), there's a whole extra set of opinions to take into consideration. On the bright side, when talking to them about life decisions I do get different perspectives and others seeing the options at different angles to help me understand and decide what to do.

I know that in the end my close friends and my family will still love and support me no matter how long it takes them to get to that point. This is one of those hard life lessons that I have had to learn, I am not going to be able to please everyone. This is part of taking the next step.

Thankfully that I don’t have to go through this chaotic mess by myself. My Father, the King of Kings, is always by my side. Helping me, encouraging me, letting me know that He’s right next to me, and more excited for my future than myself or anyone I know.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34