Advice To Young Writers | The Odyssey Online

Advice To Young Writers

Seven things Jess Walter recommends to any aspiring writer

20
Advice To Young Writers
Jess Walter

Jess Walter is a New York Times best selling author of "Beautiful Ruins", and most recently, "We Live in Water,"which just so happened to be the universities common read this semester. As a part of the program, the school offers several events hosted by Walters, one of them including a Q&A that would only be open to English majors. He spoke of himself as a young failing author; his success didn't start until many years after hundreds of rejection letters. He gave the following advice to the small groups of writers sitting before him:

1. Determine what kind of writer you want to be:

Make a list of the top 10 authors of all time for yourself, the ones that you love that inspired you to write in the first place. Even if that’s JK Rowling (who is queen) or Stephanie Meyer, or Dr. Seuss, put them on the list and don’t worry about what people will think when they see it. After you’ve made your list, pick three out of the 10 that have the most value to you. These three authors will determine what kind of writer you want to be. Now remember, this list is always subject to change; don’t feel the need to keep an author on the list just because it was the first book you picked up.

2. Rewrite your favorite paragraphs and quotes:

Walter’s described writing as an instrument. As writers, we need to learn how to form rhythm and know the ebb and flow of writing just as if we were learning to play the piano or flute. And just like musicians, we need to practice this rhythm with other’s work.

3. Develop your own habits of writing:

In order to become better at writing, it’s just like everything else. You need to practice everyday, and one way to make that happen is to develop “habits.” Walter’s own ritual is to rise from bed at 5:30 every morning—yes, he does this every morning—and he gets himself coffee and a breakfast biscuit. He has to write at least two words before he allows himself to have a sip of coffee and a bite of the biscuit. Now, you might be like me and your brain doesn't function before the hour of 8 a.m. That’s totally okay. Your habit could be—and should be—different, because each writer is different.

4. Void any distractions:

This means finding a time in the day where your phone won’t go off, you won’t be expecting any emails, and when no one will bother you. Find a time when the rest of the world is sleeping, and concentrate on writing. Writing—especially at the beginning—requires great concentration. Don’t let the outside world distract you from creating.

5. Become a “working class” writer:

Walter’s pointed out to us that writing was the only career you could get out of because you’re just not “feelin’ it”. Writer’s avoid doing their work all the time due to writers block, and while this is a very real thing, Walter’s has found at least one solution that works for him. Treat writing your novel as if it was your job every day and you couldn't get out of it by calling your boss and saying “you know, I’m just not feeling like I can bag groceries today.” Make it impossible for yourself to not write everyday.

6. When you do have writers block, give yourself a break by writing something different:

Everyone gets writers block, even the greats. Walters said that when he gets stuck—when he can’t even look at his writing because it just sucks so much he takes a break and he writes what he calls a short-short story. A short-short is a story that is 400 or 500 words or less; it gets straight to the point, and there isn't any flourish of writing that we all love. He gets a promptand writes just to give himself a break. It’s like when you clean the house or do the dishes when you’re stuck on a particular math problem, and BAM! it hits you when you least expect it to.

7. And lastly, give yourself permission to change:

Part of being a young writer—really, a young person in general—is subjecting yourself to change and realizing that you still have all this time to grow as a person and a writer. You’re not gonna get it right the first time, maybe not even the tenth time, but you could get it right someday if you change your writing as yourself as a person changes. If you make your writing stagnant, then you fail yourself as well as your writing.