Advice From An Upperclassmen To An Incoming Freshman In College

I Wish I Would Of Known These...

28
Alyssa June

We have all been in that place before and have experienced the times when we wish we had advice about this or that. We have questioned what to do and realized that high school is nothing like college. College is rather extremely difficult and challenges everything about you. I wish I would of had this advice coming into college instead of figuring it out the hard way so here is my advice-from an upperclaasmen to an incoming freshman about college.

1. Dorm life

We all have grown up having our own bedroom and space to escape to but there is no such thing as quiet in the residence halls. You never realized how much you cherished having your own room until now. But don't let that stop you from finding that alone space. There are many other places on campus that you can explore and be alone when needed. You will also realize that you will be surrounded by friends doing something all the time. You will join them of course which there is nothing wrong with that, but you need to keep in mind the balance of having fun all the time and keeping your grades afloat. Keep your door open as much as possilble! You will meet so many more people by keeping your door open whenever you are in there as well!

2. Roommates: Go in blind

You will hear all the horror stories of people going into college living with their best friend from high school as a roommate and everything going wrong. I went in blind and found my best friends in college because of it. It pushed me outside of my comfort zone in many ways and am forever thankful for doing it. And let's say you went in blind and got terrible roommates still, this helped you realized who your true friends are by if they were there for you during this or not. And if you can't solve the problems with your roommates, then an RA will do everything to help you.

3. Family: You will become homesick

Trust me, everyone does, you are not alone! I was the senior in high school who couldn't wait to fly the coop and leave my family in the dust. As soon as I got to college, I realized just how much my family means to me. I realized just how often I went home on the weekends to see them. I realized that I shouldn't of been in such a hurry to leave as I was in a hurry to go back. Your family is your support system that will never leave your side unlike your high school "best friends" or your new friends might just come and go. You can be yourself around them and they understand you. They are your familiar, your comfort, your family. But also remember that college is meant to help you with the separation. Fly the coop but remember to return.

4. Attend class

You don't have a parent nagging you to go to school anymore. You don't have a bus or teammates relying on you to be there anymore. Even then, 50 percent of your classes won't take attendance so why should you go? Attending class is the most important thing you can do as a student. Some teachers will give you extra credit for attendance on that day or some answers on your exams. They will explain your book or notes further. Professors care about you and your grades and they won't know that unless you attend class to ask for help or to learn the material. You will also get the added bonus of making friends with similar majors or interests. These classroom friends will become your study group, homework helper, and more likely then not, become your best friend.

5. School work

College school work is so much harder then high school work. You can't get an A not doing your homework and not studying. You just won't make it in college with that attitude. You will have labs, papers, multiple exams, midterms, and finals, and you will need to read your books for once. Don't be afraid to ask for help from classmates, friends, professors office hours, or the free tutors. Everyone cares about everyone so don't be afraid to get the help you need to succeed. Take notes, sit in the front row, ask questions, do not procrastinate, buy textbooks online, create to do lists, and do not cram. You are at college for an education, so get that education and get those good grades.

6. Freshman 15

Freshman 15 is a real thing, trust me. We all were involved in multiple sports in high school so we stayed active. There was also no stress in the school work department and you got plenty of sleep. You ate better too and didn't drink. But as soon as you came to college, you have a meal plan where the residential restaurants have desserts (always) and carb filled foods. You don't have the sports keeping you active. All of these things create a recipe of fat. You have a gym membership through the school, so use it! Get sleep, exercise, and grab that salad at the residential restaurant.

7. Partying

You will hear the booming music from the house parties and frat houses, you will see the upperclassmen doing it, and you will see the tailgating at the football games. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean you have too. There are plenty of people who have never drank and never will in college as well and if that is you, find those people. You also don't need to drink to have fun. But, if you still want to fit in the party scene, then go out and not drink. If you do participate in those activities though, have friends or sober roommates you can call in an emergency. Have a taxi's number and stay in the group of friends the entire night out. If cops break up the party, do not stay in the house and hide as you will get in trouble. Stay on the grass as it is private property and not the sidewalk. And just be smart and safe when doing so.

8. Get involved

My best advice is to get involved. Join clubs or RSO's, go greek, get involved with your residential hall's council, just get out there. You will meet people of similar interests and hobbies, you will learn so much, and it will make your resume look better. You will find new passions and will volunteer for cool non-profit organizations. Whether you get involved or not-that choice will make or break your college years.

9. Don't forget to take care of yourself

The most important thing you can do is to take care of yourself. You are going through a lot of stress, you are stepping outside of your comfort zone, you are figuring out who you are and what you want to do with your life, and you are figuring out how to balance the social life and student life. So to stay afloat, is to take care of yourself. If that means taking a long bath, visiting the humane society, eating healthy, going out with your friends-you do that. Happiness is the key to surviving college so do whatever makes you happy.

10. Have fun

There's nothing more important then having fun in college. Explore campus, go to the concerts and football games, make new friends, find your favorite place on campus, and just have fun. Anyone who has graduated college or about to will tell you college is the best four years of your life. If they could go back in time and replay it, they would. There is nothing like college to find yourself and your happiness so do it!