Advice For Incoming Freshmen In College As Told By Puppies | The Odyssey Online

Advice For Incoming Freshmen In College As Told By Puppies

Since you're no longer the "top dog" at school.

23

Within a few short weeks, thousands of colleges and universities across the nation will be opening their doors to welcome new students. Many of my own friends are preparing to start the same journey I began last year. Similar to Benjamin Button, they are about to switch from being the old, top dogs of the yard to the brand new puppy who has to figure out the new world around them. While leaving your families behind and being forced to memorize a new map may seem a little scary and confusing, it will all be worth it when you finally discover who you are destined to be. Here are some of the most important lessons I have learned during my first year of college that will serve as advice for the incoming freshman class... as told by adorable puppies!

1. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.

There are thousands of students who have just boarded the same boat as you. Don't be afraid to show them who you are. Help them to understand all of your likes, dislikes, morals and beliefs. If you can successfully accomplish this, you will be off to a great start making new friends.

2. Understand that you may not become best friends with your roommate(s), and that is completely OK.

Sometimes personalities clash, and your roommates may have been put in your life temporarily to serve as a reminder to cherish the people who do accept you. However, do your best to be civilized in order to survive the year with as few issues as possible.

3. Learn to balance studying, partying and fitness.

Let's be honest, college is all about experimentation before you enter the "real world." You need to figure out how much you can procrastinate on studying before it affects your grades. However, nobody wants to be the kid who stays in all the time, either. On the other hand, you will need to consider how much partying your body can handle in one week as well as how early your classes are if you go out on week nights. Contrary to popular belief, you are attending college to gain knowledge about your future career, not to become a teenage alcoholic. Enjoy yourself, but don't forget about your education. Lastly, nobody wants to gain the freshman 15...or the freshman 30 in some unfortunate cases... So it's probably best you set some time aside to hit the gym.

4. Know your alcohol limit.

Not that any of you are going to break the law by drinking underage, but this piece of advice stands for those students who may "accidentally" consume alcoholic beverages. Nobody wants to have to play "mom" and take care of you in your sloppy drunken state, so be considerate of yourself and your friends. If getting your stomach pumped doesn't sound like your idea of fun, then drink plenty of water and know when to cut yourself off.

5. Avoid 8 a.m.'s like they're the plague

You'll thank me later. At the beginning of the semester, you may feel like you can handle having classes at the crack of dawn because "you have done it your whole life." Don't be fooled. You'll be sorry when you either choose to go out on weeknights or force yourself to stay in so you can sleep while the rest of your friends go to clubs.

6. Save your skips for when you really need them.

Most professors will state directly in their syllabus how many unexcused absences you are permitted per semester. I highly recommend saving your skip days for days when you either need time to catch up on work or want to leave early to go home for a long weekend. However, if a professor says that class is "optional" or that "attendance isn't taken," by all means, skip away -- as long as you can keep your grades up.

7. Make sure you make time for fun.

Most schools offer boatloads of intramural sports, clubs and other extracurricular activities. Not only do these make you look well-rounded to your future employers, but they are also great ways to meet people with similar interests. Anyone who says intramural leagues aren't competitive is lying. You have never seen a group of gym warriors try so hard to win a T-shirt until you participate in intramural sports yourself. Leaving time for leisure will not only boost your happiness and relieve your stress, but it will also help you avoid that dreaded freshman 15 that we discussed in the third bullet point on this list.

8. Less is more.

When it comes to packing, I know it can be stressful to put virtually your whole life of belongings into a few seemingly small suitcases and bags. I admit that I always overpack. However, I promise you that if you haven't worn something within the past year, you won't wear it at college either. It's time to give away those old Abercrombie v-neck shirts from middle school! I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately you can't bring your beloved pets to college -- no matter how much you want to.

9. Bring some sentimental objects that remind you of home.

A few days before I left for college, I decided to get some of my favorite pictures printed at Walgreens for my dorm wall. Little did I know, those pictures would help me in ways I could not have imagined. Not only did they portray my likes and interests to anyone who stepped into my room, but they also alleviated my bouts of homesickness. Whenever I was feeling down, I would stare at my wall and think about my friends back home and all of the memories we shared. Those photos were a constant reminder that I had a strong support system back home and that I could always contact the people in the pictures whenever I needed them.

10. Reach out.

Reach out to fellow classmates. Reach out to your parents. Reach out to your high school friends. Starting college can be nerve-racking for everyone involved. Realize that any homesickness you may feel at the beginning of your college experience will eventually fade away. Recognize that the college adjustment may be harder for some people than it is for others. Help your classmates if you notice that they are struggling. Don't forget to FaceTime, call and text your parents. After all, they are being forced to let you run on your own for the first time, too. Stay in touch with your childhood and high school friends and plan reunions for when you all return home on breaks. Don't forget about the people who care about you the most and who have continually shown you that they will always back you up. Keep these rare people in your life. Friendship is ultimately one of the most beautiful parts of life. Cherish it!

11. Don't be afraid to fall.

There will be times that life will stress you out. There is always a way to solve every problem. Ask for help when you need it. Understand that life goes on. You can overcome any obstacle that is thrown your way. It may not be easy, but you can survive anything with a little perservearance. If you are unhappy with your college choice, don't be afraid to switch until you find your niche. It may take some time, but eventually you will land where you belong.

As the band, Jimmy Eat World, sang in their hit song, "The Middle":

"It just takes some time
Little girl, you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be alright
."

Never give up! Best of luck!