The New Adventure Begins: Why It's Okay To Be Excited About The Future

It's on to new adventures, but let's not forget what we did here.

11
Google

To the Otterbein University Theatre and Dance Class of 2017...

Lately, we've been witnessing a lot of "final" activities here at Otterbein. We had our performance classmates perform their senior showcase for us on Friday evening - putting myself and the rest of the senior class in our "feels." This was just the beginning of the end for all of us. This performance kicked off a string of last final events for all of us. For some of us, we closed and struck our last Otterbein Theatre production that we'll ever be a part of - and let me tell you, that is something very bittersweet and you'll never understand it until it's your turn. Until you go in for the last curtain call, for the last time you'll lead a strike, for the last moment you're standing on the stage looking out at the empty audience seat banks to realize that this is it.

We only have 5 weeks left here in Westerville. We have 5 weeks left to relish in our friends, in the warmth of the company of the family we've built here, to create lasting memories that will surely last our entire lives, to be with the people who love us like no other. To laugh. To cry. To be an Otterbein student before we venture off on our own adventures next semester as we - seemingly begin the next chapter.

While I am extremely excited for myself and my classmates, I will sincerely miss each and every one of them. This special class (Otterbein Theatre and Dance Class of 2017) has been nothing short of incredible these last four years. They stood by me in my darkest moments, lifted me up when I needed it, gave me supported when I didn't ask for it, loved me through each moment, made me laugh and supported me like no other. They saw me through the toughest moments in my life, and I couldn't have asked for a better group to go through the ups and downs with. You all are beautiful people. You all are stars. You are going to shine like no other. I am so proud to be your classmate. I am so proud to be a friend to each of you. You are going to go far. Believe in yourself, love yourself, and know that no matter where you are, I am here for you. I will always support you. I will always love you.

These four years have been the toughest I've lived through. From personal experiences that have carried me through the years, to the painful growths I've gone through, this place has been a core system of support for me. I've learned things about myself I never knew I could. I did things I didn't know I would. I grew as an artist. I grew as a collaborator. I learned more about my art than I ever could. I got to learn from some of the most wonderful professors and artists in the world. I traveled to new places because of this place. I was given opportunities I would never have taken before. And on top of this, I found my absolute best friends in the world. The ones who showed me unconditional love, the ones who made me laugh on a daily basis, the ones who listened to me rant and rave, the ones who never gave up on me even when I gave up on myself. Because of this place, I found the ones I call my family - and for that, I'll be forever grateful.

As we get ready to go our separate ways, and on to new adventures, I can't help but be sentimental. It's hitting hard that these are our last five weeks together. I can't wait to see what's coming for all of us. I'm excited to see where the path will take us. I'm hopeful for everyone in that I know that, while we don't know what's next, I know we are not alone. We have each other, though miles and miles apart. We will be doing new things and having new lives and starting the second chapter, but I won't forget what we did here. I won't forget the lessons I learned, the friends I made, the hardships I went through, the memories I made, or the love I gave and received over the years.

The next chapter is surely scary, but get this, it's all part of life. It's all part of growing up and changing, and while it's going to be different to not be with each other, it's going to be okay. We have to do this. We have to grow up. We're leaving the safety of the quiet, peaceful village that is Otterbein, but it will always be here. Our family that we built here will be here always. The professors we've had will be here. We will support each other, we'll be together in spirit. And we're all going to shine in our new endeavors. We're going to rock it. We'll show the world what Otterbein is made of. We'll be rockstars in our fields, and I cannot wait to see what the path ahead looks like for each of us. I am so proud. I am so filled with joy and love. I love each and every one of you - thank you for making my four years beyond what I expected. I can't believe this is the end, but it's not goodbye. I know we'll see each other again.