How To Address Holidays When Everyone Celebrates Differently

This controversy should not be addressed only around this "joyous time of year..."

11
Sankar Sengupta

Every year during the holidays, the discussion of "Do I say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?" is brought back into the spotlight. This controversy should not be addressed only around this 'joyous time of year;' it is a problem we see in people who live and survive in this divergent country on an everyday basis. Three weeks into the school year typically started in September, several days are given off to respect Jewish holidays that fall around that time of year. Weeks later Thanksgiving arrives and schools nationwide are given off from school. Some may say that the things I am talking about have no significance to each other in any way, but they do. Both are related because of one foundational moral-respect.

The recorded history behind two highly celebrated holidays that offer the most controversy is significant. Christmas, rooted from the Bible, is about the birth and humble coming of a king to save the people on this earth. Specific symbols, such as gift-giving, credit to the true meaning of Christmas. It is not only celebrated in several religious groups but also secularized to fit the comfort of society. Hanukkah is about a revolt against tyranny and freedom; the candles lit for eight days in a row are a symbol of light. Either holiday has been commercialized to build up the holiday hysteria. Either holiday is celebrated by a group of people who are secure in their beliefs. Any holiday is recognized for some historic connotation that directly connects one person to another. Respecting the community you live within is more than just words; it is showing love to the neighbor that has varying traditions than your family. It is noticing the homeless man on the side of the street that appears to be less important than the day you have planned out. It is demonstrating love to all people no matter where they come from.

Greeting someone with 'Merry Christmas,' 'Happy Hanukkah,' or 'Happy Holidays' is a sign of hospitality. It says more than what the wrapping paper displays. Part of living in a diverse community is accepting the diversity and adapting to it. Society is all about "being yourself" or "showing black and white in an all gray world" but is not willing to accept a phrase that comes around one time of the year. Forcing employees or public figures to greet someone with a vague phrase is desensitizing the meaning behind why we celebrate any holidays in the first place. An incident came upon me during work that is similar to this. I was greeting the customers coming in and out of the restaurant I work at with 'Merry Christmas'. Later on, a coworker pulled me aside and asked that I say 'Happy Holidays' as not to offend anyone. What if someone I say that too does not celebrate any holidays? There is no one way to please everyone.

Displaying personal beliefs is a sign of vulnerability and is shut down as soon as you get in your car to venture into society's mall. If so many people are focused on not offending anyone during this time of year the same measures should be taken all year round. Everyone who lives in this country has made it a home for some reason or another. Next time you greet someone with "Have a great holiday" think about what you are saying and what it really means to you.

“I think... if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts.”

― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina