The Acai Craze | The Odyssey Online

The Acai Craze

A new superfood staple.

157
The Acai Craze

What is all the buzz about?

Acai bowls have taken the world by storm over the past year, becoming one of the biggest health food trends. More than just a trendy Instagram picture, acai bowls are packed with major health benefits. The deep purple acai berry is commonly found in the rain forests of the Amazon and has made its way to the U.S. This antioxidant-rich superfood aids in heart and skin health, reduces digestive upset and irritation, and provides an energy boost. Similar to a fruit smoothie, acai bowls are typically a blended mix of fruit and milk/juice, but topped with extra ingredients, and filling enough to be a meal.

Where can you find an acai bowl?

Acai bowls have become readily available in chains and cafes across California and beyond. Popular spots include Paradise Bowls, Nekter, Nugget, Backyard Bowls, Banzai Bowls, Kravabowl, and Jamba Juice.

How can you make your own?

If you find yourself too far from an acai bowl place or want more for your money, you can make your own acai bowl at home. After much trial and error, I have finally come up with a delicious homemade recipe that I use without fail. All ingredients can be found at Whole Foods or other health food stores.

The best acai I've come across is the Sambazon unsweetened acai smoothie pack. The package comes with four individual frozen acai packs, good for four separate uses.

I run a single pack under hot water for a few seconds to defrost it slightly and throw it in a blender with the Sambazon acai energy juice. I let that blend into a liquid and then add a mix of frozen berries and soy or almond milk. Make sure that there is enough liquid for it to blend completely, but you want it to stay thick. I pour my favorite granola (Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Flax granola) into the bottom of a bowl and add my smoothie mixture over it. I then top it with more granola, fresh strawberries, and honey, but the toppings are up to your personal preference. Other popular toppings include coconut, banana, bee pollen, chia seeds, and goji berries. Here is what I'm left with:

I have an acai bowl for either breakfast or lunch almost every day, and I am always left fulfilled. My favorite acai bowls are from Paradise Bowls in Manhattan Beach. They're delicious, and you can enjoy them on the beach. This superfood is worth the hype.