The ABC's Of Long Island

The ABC's Of Long Island

A fool-proof guide for non-Long Islanders to understand their Long Island friends.

621
The ABC's Of Long Island
limusichalloffame.org

Are you friends with a Long Islander? Do you hear things from them, but aren’t sure what they are talking about? Well, today is you’re lucky day because I’m going to help you. So from one Long Islander to a non-Long Islander, here are some things you will need to know.

1. Adventureland

The amusement park in East Farmingdale that is fun when we are in kids, but suck when we’re teens, but go to every summer with their friends anyway.

2. Bagels & Bacon, Egg and Cheeses & Billy Joel

There's a lot her, but we take pride in them, and it’s practically religion.

3. Carvel

Wednesdays is Sundae!

4. Delis, Diners and Ducks

Again, religion. Deli sandwiches are life. You didn’t end a night out without going to the diner (and not iHop or Denny’s), and our Duck's team is the greatest.

4. Every corner there is a 7-Eleven

There is probably about 20 of them within a five mile radius from wherever we are standing.

5. Fire Island

Has Robert Moses, one of the best beaches on the Island, and the lighthouse. If you try hard enough, you can walk to it.

6. Great Neck is where "The Great Gatsby" took place.

East Egg and West Egg are basically real.

7. Heroes

…not hoagies or subs.

8. Irish, Italian or both?

A Long Islander is either one or the other if not both (lucky me, I’m both).

9. Jones Beach Theatre

Most likely the place where a Long Islander had their first concert (like me).

10. Kings Park Psych Center and other horror houses

Probably ventured there once or twice seeing if they’re actually haunted.

11. Lacrosse

Football really isn’t our sport here.

12. Montauk and Manhattan

Known as “the End” and “the City” to us and more than likely prom weekend was spent and either one of these.

13. Nassau v. Suffolk

The two counties are very different don’t get them confused. (Suffolk for life!)

14. Ocean Beaches

If not Jones or Robert Moses, a Long Islander is not more than 20 minutes from a beach.

15. Pizza

It’s our pride and joy. And the best, don’t deny it.

16. Queens and Brooklyn are not Long Island

…and don’t say that they are because they aren’t.

17. Ralph’s

Opening day is practically a holiday because summer has finally arrived.

18. Splish-Splash

The water park that Long Islander’s make sure to go to during summer break. And did I mention that it is the third best water park in the country?

19. Town names

Ronkonkoma, Nissequogue, Massapequa, Cupsogue, Nesconset, Quogue and even Commack can’t be pronounced correctly by the GPS. Don’t underestimate our ability to pronounce the most awkward and complicated of Native American names.

20. Upstate is pretty much everything in New York that’s not Long Island or NYC

Sorry, but Central New York is just not in our vocabulary.

21. Vineyards

They’ll make a great day for wine tasting (praying I won’t be disappointed in two years).

22. We do not know the "Long Island Medium!"

Some probably do, but the majority of us don’t.

23. Xtra Large Iced Coffee

It’s in our blood.

24. Yelling

You don’t know yelling until you’ve sat in LI traffic and the closer you get to the city the worse it gets.

25. Z100 and BLI

New York’s number one Hit Music Station and Long Island's number one Hit Music Station.