My Senior Year Might Not Have Been Ideal, But Here Are 4 Ways COVID-19 Helped Me Grow | The Odyssey Online

My Senior Year Might Not Have Been Ideal, But Here Are 4 Ways COVID-19 Helped Me Grow

I lost the last nine weeks of my senior year to the Coronavirus, but I have gained so much more.

393
Personal Photo

On March 10th, I cleaned out my locker thinking I'd be moving into our brand new high school a week later. I didn't have a care in the world, other than thinking about the end of my senior year and finally moving into the new high school. I thought everything was fine in the world other than the virus that was effortlessly making its way across oceans and countless borders. But, it wasn't going to affect me, right? Boy, was I wrong.

The next night, the NBA postponed its season due to this virus. Then, before we knew it, everything was either cancelled or postponed. On March 23rd, the State Superintendent of Oklahoma proposed that Oklahoma schools remained shut down for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. Just like that, my senior year and all the end-of-high school activities I had looked forward to for as long as I can remember, were gone.

Still, this article isn't about the sad and negative outcomes but instead, it's about everything I've gained throughout this scary time. There are several, but here are just a few:

I've spent more time with my friends than I would've before the COVID-19 outbreak.

Personal Photo

You'd think I wouldn't get to spend time with my best friends throughout this. But if anything, I've spent more time with them than I would've if we had a regular ending to high school. One of my best friends and I have gone on many expeditions for the perfect photo and many snow cone dates. We still decorated our caps together - well, we tried to, but is that really important? Then, we scheduled our "check out of high school" with our other best friend, which was followed by another photo expedition and a trip to our favorite Mexican restaurant, Ramiro's - a restaurant of which will forever have my heart. These are the times I will never forget.

I've grown in my faith.

Another thing I've done is grown in my faith. I've been a Christian for as long as I can remember, but I never did "quiet times" until quarantine. Let me tell you, it's been amazing. The things I've learned and how much my life has changed is crazy. If anyone reading this is looking for a bible study or does not know where to start, as I struggled with, let me recommend Priscilla Shirer's book, Defined: Who God Says You Are. I linked the girl's version, but the guy's version is right there with it.

Another thing I started doing to help me grow in my faith is listening to Sadie Robertson's podcast, WOAH That's Good. This podcast has one question: "What is the best piece of advice that you've ever been given?" Sadie has interviewed people such as Jeremy Camp, Ben Higgins, Michael Todd, and Chrissy Metz. I listen to this during any free time I get. If you haven't heard of it or checked it out, I recommend looking at it. I wasn't a big podcast person before so if you're not either, just give it a shot. You never know until you try. All of these things have helped me grow in my faith, which I am very thankful for.

I've connected with my 'Cowboy Family' at Oklahoma State University.

While Oklahoma State University has cancelled in-person orientation, along with all other summer events, I've still had the opportunity to connect with people that I'll be interacting with this fall. Social media is truly an amazing asset for this reason! I'm in so many group chats for my soon-to-be home, and they have all helped me get even more prepared for this fall. I've met so many people in my class, people I'll be living around, and some of the Oklahoma State Odyssey team - I cannot wait to meet them all in person!

I've learned to appreciate our healthcare and essential workers more than I did before.

Most of all, I've learned that our healthcare and essential workers are amazing people. Well, I knew this already, but I gained even more respect for them through this pandemic. If you haven't thanked one today, do it. They work so hard so we can stay safe and happy during all this craziness while risking their own safety and happiness. We would be so lost without them.

I know this isn't the 2020 that everyone thought it was going to be, especially for my fellow seniors, but we have to try to make the best out of this somewhat scary experience. If we don't, life will never go back to "normal" - whatever that is.