9 Things You Will Miss Once You Leave Okinawa, Japan | The Odyssey Online

9 Things You Will Miss Once You Leave Okinawa, Japan

Moving there was a nightmare that turned into a sweet dream

252
Okinawa Hai

"We are moving where? On that small island? Are you kidding me!?"

If you ever had to move to Okinawa, Japan, these were the questions you asked after they showed you how tiny this island was. You had to be show your friends where you were going, you were pretty pissed at the military, and depending on your age you were pissed at your parents for being in the military. Eventually you move there and you realize this place is so much more than just a tiny island!

1. Mihama

This place was the place that everyone wanted to hang out! The food was great, the clothes weren't so bad, you could find the best Japanese accessories, and you could just have fun! I would remember times when friends and I would just walk around to talk about the stresses we were going through. Maybe even just sitting in the ferris wheel and looking over the area just to feel like you were on top of the world. I mean who else loved sitting on the sea wall watching the sunset while eating whateve delicious snack or meal?

2. Family Mart

If you have ever lived in Japan in general, you know about this magical place! It's like a 7-Eleven except so much better for some strange reason. From the delicous drinks to the food you cannot get over-this will become your favorite stop. Especially since one of them is right outside of two different gates of Kadena Air Force Base, you were set once you got your allowance and you changed the curency.

3. Kubaski and Kadena

I mean you would think there would be a HUGE rivalry and sometimes there depending on the football game or basketball game. However, a lot of my friends were from Kubi and we would go to each others proms and formals just to have fun! Yes we were the only two American schools on the island so we had our own fun and figured it out!

4. Okuma

Who did not love hearing that they were going to Okuma for a day or two? It was that trip that everyone looked forward to because you would fight over the who drove the golf cart or who was playing mini golf first! (Just me? Okay, I will take that one!) People would make bets about who would fly off the banana boat or who was pushed off the banana boat! Who was going to drive the jet skis first and who was going to go so fast that people would fly off them? I think my favorite part was going to sleep and waking up to the sound of the ocean and talking a wake at night to see the stars since that was the perfect moment to see them.

5. CoCo Curry House

If you left Okinawa and never tried this-YOU MISSED OUT! I remember my dad telling me that he could not leave without eating a Level 12 curry! He only made it to 10 but when I tell you that it was hot for him-the sweats had their own sweat coming down when we were eating it! Yes there are certain places in the states that have them, but its not the same as having it in Japan!

6. Festivals

There are a thousands festivals that happen on this tiny island! My favorite is of course the one above in this picture because just look at the trees! I remember going and there was a hill of them and the Okinawans were celebrating and waiting for the first blossom. It was so magical when we started walking back to the car and the flowers started to bloom! It was a picture perfect moment and thats what I remember this island was filled of-magical moments.

7. Sushi Go Round

I don't know about you guys, but this place was my favorite meet up spot to eat before shopping! So many options to eat from, moving around the store, the plates told your price, and you can order off the menu if you don't see what you like! It's a moving buffet where all you do is sit and eat! The pricing was not horrible at all and I loved how lazy I could be while eating! Of course later I would walk it off and probably go to the other sushi go round and fill myself up again!

8. Vending Machines

What are you in the mood for? Something hot? Something cold? Something smooth? Something bubbly? You name it, these things had it! You can get coffee and as soon as you open it, it gets hot! You could get soup in a can and it would do the same thing! I would love some Lemon or Apple tea from here!

9. Sticky Pics

No Mihama trip was complete without going into one of these boxes! Or maybe three of them because each sticky pic machine had different backgrounds, stickers, colors-everything! I remember going into four during one trip because the part that takes the most time is actually decorating them! Taking the pictures maybe took 5 minutes, but decorating could take like 10 if no one was in line waiting to take theirs or there was another pannel to decorate them!

Okinawa, Japan was my home for 5 years and I really miss it. I miss the culture, the people, the laughter, the friends, and one day I hope to visit! For now I look at my sticky pics and old pictures to keep the memory alive. At first when moving there I hated it and than when I moved away I missed it more than ever.