9 Movies To Kick Off The Summer | The Odyssey Online

9 Movies To Kick Off The Summer

A few films that embrace the summer

148
9 Movies To Kick Off The Summer
ew.com

June 21st marks the summer solstice, and the official start of summer in the states. On those days where the temperature is too intense to battle, here is a list of x movies to sit back and watch with your friends. They encompass good times, summer heat, and vacation values. Note: They are in no particular order!

1. Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

If you need a goofy movie to watch with friends, Wet Hot American Summer is your ticket to a good time.

2. Stand By Me (1986)

A darker movie, Stand By Me follows a group of young boys on a summer adventure. It's a thrilling and humorous flick.

3. Jaws (1975)

I'm going to be honest, if you haven't seen Jaws already, you haven't lived yet. In today's age of cheap pop-out horror movies, Jaws reminds us that not every horror movie has to revolve around ghosts or demons. Sometimes, an anamatronic shark goes a long way.

4. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)

Vacation is a movie that embodies Murphy's Law: What can go wrong, will go wrong. It's another goofy, inappropriate movie to watch with friends.

5. Some Like It Hot (1959)

After accidentally witnessing a mob hit, two goofs dress in drag and run away to Florida in a female-band to avoid being killed by the Chicago mafia in the raunchy comedy Some Like it Hot.

6. Friday the 13th (1980)

What's summer without a serial killer on the loose? If you're headed off to a sleep-away camp, I'd watch the original Friday the 13th before shipping off to get in the spirit of camp.

7. O Brother Where Art Thou (2000)

Based on Homer's The Odyssey, O Brother Where Art Thou follows 3 scrappy men on their hunt for a treasure. If you like folk music and George Clooney, this classic Coen Brother's flick is the perfect movie for you.

8. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

While Shawshank isn't a particularly happy film, it does take place in the summer (for the most part). Be prepared to sit on the edge of your seat for this thrilling drama!

9. The Green Mile (1999)

Similar to Shawshank, The Green Mile takes place in the summer. I'd watch it with a box of tissues if I were you.

While some of these movies have dark themes and gloomy endings, they do embrace summer and feel-good themes; heat, vacation time, and time well spent with friends.