8 Ways to Run a Successful Podcast | The Odyssey Online
News

8 Ways to Run a Successful Podcast

In the era of video and photos, audio makes its way as one of the ways of doing journalism with greater projection of the future. Not surprisingly, some say that our relationship with electronic devices will soon be through voice.

38
8 Ways to Run a Successful Podcast

The audio will take on even greater prominence when smart speakers like Amazon Echo, Google Home or HomePod start arriving at home. We will tell you eight tips for podcasters that you should keep in mind to take full advantage of what will become the most listened to platform in the future: Podcasts

In the era of video and photos, audio makes its way as one of the ways of doing journalism with greater projection of the future. Not surprisingly, some say that our relationship with electronic devices will soon be through voice. Podcasting has become an increasingly important element for the media, but it is an art in itself.

The following tips come from Farah C. Jaber, an investor, podcast host, hospitality management leader, and author. Originally from Lebanon, Farah has built a strong reputation as an investor and his credible insights are often sought by top investors and business leaders. He wrote the book, "Becoming An Investor: The First 100 Days" and will publish soon the second one of the series "Becoming an Investor: Towards Financial Freedom"

Apart from that, Farah's podcast, The New Investor Podcast, has earned him remarkable success while setting aspiring investors on their path to Financial Freedom. It is currently available on Spotify, Anchor, Google Podcast, Apple Podcast and multiple other platforms.

1. Preparation

Recording a podcast is not based on standing in front of a microphone and starting to talk without further ado. Although this has worked for popular YouTubers, a journalistic product needs planning: script, technical aspects, resources... It is important to consider what technical elements we are going to need.

2. Structure

As in every story that is told, it is imperative that there is a structural arch to prevent listeners from getting lost. It is important to keep in mind that the absence of visual resources gives all power to the sound, so you should take care of this point to avoid creating auditory chaos that leads to nothing.

3. Know the purpose

It is related to the previous point: what do you want to tell in your podcast? This point is important when interviewing someone, since, although we get carried away by the conversation itself, it is necessary to have planning that allows us to know who we are talking to, about what and for what.

4. Quality attention

Feeding a podcast is a complex task that requires persistence. If the quality of the content or technique suffers, users will withdraw. And it is not easy to get fans of a podcast. You have to take care of them to strengthen the brand and open up in a huge market where it is very difficult to stand out. There are tricks to enhance quality, especially technique: from being locked in a room to eliminate or limit noise. In extreme cases, you can soundproof a room.

5. Editing and mixing

A podcast needs to resemble a radio show, at least until the general public gets used to its peculiarities. Do not hesitate to use sound resources such as music, jingles or sounds to enrich and liven up the content. Test with the equalizer to modify the sound and find the point that you and your listeners are looking for. And as you are going to record the program, review it before publishing it and do not hesitate to edit it to trim parts that lose quality, repeat some content that has not gone well or add postproduction that improves the podcast.

6. Take your time

Good stories take time, so don't hesitate to pursue a dream interview or spend weeks recording a show. Your listeners will thank you: whatever you decide to talk about, let it be of quality. Even if you do it in a podcast.

7. Ambient sound

If you record an interview in public, your recorder will capture ambient sound. You must take it into account to avoid it as much as possible. But even indoors you should avoid certain environments: recording a large or empty room can create resonance or echo, so it is better to focus on small places (it even serves the interior of a car if the environment is noisy). In any case, do a test before each recording, especially when you are in a new environment. So you can check if the final sound will be suitable for your podcast. If you perform an interview, do not hesitate to ask your interviewee to speak louder, slower or more clearly, and be sure to place the recorder in a suitable place to avoid annoying noises that can be generated by speaking very close to the microphone.

8. Manage time

Each subject has a time limit to be counted, so you must analyze each program you produce to see if you have exceeded or fell short. The important thing is to maintain the interest of the listener in the long term, so you must find balance and dedicate the necessary time to each story. Do not hesitate to ask for feedback from your audience, since a podcast is a very personal product in which the relationship between the speaker and the listener is close, something that you can enhance thanks to social networks and the Internet. Remember that you are working for them.