8 Things Lifeguards Want Patrons To Know

A guide inside a lifeguard's head.

49
blackclarksville.com

Summer has rolled around again, meaning you can catch me in my guard chair for the majority of the summer until I head back to Athens. Though I do enjoy many aspects of my lifeguarding job, there are some things that make it less desirable. Dealing with misunderstood patrons is one of them. Thus, I have compiled together 8 things us lifeguards want you, the patron, to know.

1. One word: WALK.

I know, I know you hear it all the time. But really, we want you to walk on the pool deck for your safety! With surrounding areas being slippery, the chances of you falling are high. So please, patron, walk. We truly appreciate it.

2. We probably don't want to be splashed.

Yes, we may be sitting in a swimsuit all day, but chances are we don't want to be splashed. You may find it funny to splash us, but sometimes it just isn't and can distract us from our job. Always ask before you splash!

3. Look at us when we whistle.

I don't know what it is, but some patrons just don't look when we whistle. Which means we must proceed to whistling until we finally get your attention... Please just look at a lifeguard when they whistle, it makes our lives (and possibly yours) easier.

4. We are not babysitters.

Shocking, right!? Yes, we do watch to make sure each patron is safe, but you still should be keeping a close watch on your children. If you don't, they have the potential of wandering into areas that are more difficult for them to swim in. Kids get tired relatively quickly when they swim and we don't want anything happening to them. Also, we need to continue scanning the pool, which means we cannot keep an eye on just your child. Keep them safe and keep an eye on those kiddos!

5. "Free swim" isn't everything.

We get it, is so cool to swim in the diving well when no one is going off of the board. But, is it really necessary to do? Or necessary to tell kids to not go off of the board just so you can "free swim?" I say, enough with free swim!

(Just kidding, just not when the pool is busy.)

6. Stop playing underwater breath holding games.

Have you ever heard of shallow water blackout? Probably not. It is real and it is scary. Look it up and you will never want to hold your breath underwater for extended periods of time again.

7. Just take the swim test.

Just do it. Well, take it if you are required. Parents, I know it can be annoyance, and kids, I know you get tired but it is really to ensure safety.

8. We are NOT out to get you.

Despite what you may think or how we may act, we are never out to get you or your child. We are enforcing the rules strictly for safety.

If there is one thing patrons should know it's that everything a lifeguard tells you to do is for your safety. All we wish is for every person at the pool to enjoy their time and enjoy it by abiding the rules so you can continue having a wonderful visit.