8 Things Kids With Unique Names Know To Be True

Our parents gave us a name and a whole rollercoaster of emotions.

18
The Odyssey Online

What to name your baby is one of the most important decisions to make as a parent, because a name will follow that kid around for the rest of his or her life. It's always a huge debate about whether to go for common, or something that is a little more unique. For me, the story goes that I was almost named Hannah, but my parents decided that wasn't quite right for me. I guess somewhere in the span of a few weeks, they decided to completely change their course and go for more of a unique and uncommon family name, Anorah. I even got a cool nickname when I was a kid: Nori. Most days I like my name. Sometimes, I'm not a fan. It's probably safe to say I'm the one and only Nori in my friends' and family's lives, and they associate that name with me and me alone, which is pretty cool. But there are definitely small annoyances that come along with having a unique name. Here's a list of a few things us weirdly-named kids know to be true.

1. You dread introducing yourself to new people.

Ugh. This is the worst because people always react something like this. They get so confused and never know what to do with my name, so I always have to repeat it several times. Kids with unique names inevitably hear, "I'm sorry, what is it?" This is especially bad if you have to quickly introduce yourself among a group, because it always disrupts the flow of things.

2. In school you always knew when a teacher came to your name during roll call.

*pause* "Um... Okay, I know I'm going to butcher this..." Yes, yes you are. I'll save you the misery, I'm here.

3. On the rare occasion you find someone who says your name correctly on the first try, they're basically your new best friend.

This hardly ever happens! You get me! We need to be friends now!

4. You will never find anything with your name on it and have given up on the idea completely.

You used to be so sad that you couldn't find a cheap flashing keychain featuring your name, but now it's more amusing than anything. You've accepted it. We can't all be Jane's and Jordan's.

5. People always ask you what your name means or where it's from.

Mine's Latin for "honor". I know you were dying to know and not at all trying to force small talk with me.

6. Your name is misspelled and mispronounced all the time.

I have a unique first name and an even harder surname, so it's doubly confusing for people. It's easier than you're making it, I promise... As long as I can tell you're making an effort, I can't hate you too much. Unless you mispronounce it at graduation. *cough*

7. For you, finding a username is a breeze and a half.

There are some perks to having a name few others have. There's no adding ten unnecessary numbers to a username for you. I've actually gotten an email address with just my first and last name before, an accomplishment of which I'm pretty proud and will likely tell my grandchildren about one day.

8. At the end of the day, you just wouldn't be you without your weird name.

Your name makes you who you are, and it's a pretty special thing to have one you barely have to share with anyone. I'm a trailblazer for my name-- I get to set the standard by which all Nori's are judged (I'm looking at you, North West). I used to hate my name when I was younger, but as I've matured I'm glad I have something unique to call my own. I wouldn't want to be anyone else, and I hope all the uniquely-named kids out there feel the same way.