7 Reasons I Can't Wait To Be Back In Buffalo For The Summer - The Odyssey Online

7 Reasons I Can't Wait To Be Back In Buffalo For The Summer

As if I need more reasons than just Tim Hortons

42
Card Stunts

Don’t get me wrong, going away for college was the best decision I could have ever made. I always said I couldn't wait to leave home, and I was so right. I have learned so many things that I would have never been able to discover within the confines of Western New York. But, after a year away with very few chances to go home, I am REALLY looking forward to these next few months in the 716, and here’s why:

WINGS

Notice how I said wings and not Buffalo Wings. When I got to school, I didn’t know that people actually referred to wings as Buffalo Wings. Even worse, when I asked them why they said it that way, their response was “because they’re made with Buffalo sauce.” Actually, the funniest response I got was “wait, Buffalo sauce is named after Buffalo? I thought it was just some random name.”...Huh?? First, every person in the Buffalo area will be happy to tell you that The Anchor Bar was the place that invented the chicken wing. And second, Buffalo is not a sauce for chicken wings- we have mild, medium, and hot (and, if you’re at Duff’s, suicide and death). Nowhere on our menus will you find “wings with Buffalo sauce." And lastly, bleu cheese is what goes on wings. You can keep your ranch

Pizza

The pizza isn’t bad here, but its not great. Any of my friends at school will be able to tell you my favorite pizza place (shoutout to Edie’s) and exactly what my order is. That’s how much I rave about it. Pizza is different in Buffalo. It’s not thin crust like NYC and it’s not deep dish like Chicago. It’s a wonderful happy- medium and its greasy as hell (like everything else we eat).

Tim Hortons

I bring up Tim Hortons on a daily basis. I’m sorry, but Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts just cannot compare- not even close. Every time I have come home, my very first stop, even before getting home, is Tim Hortons for a medium iced coffee double-double and a maple French toast bagel toasted with butter. The coffee is better, the donuts are better, and it’s a little place we- and Canada- can call our own.

My AAAAcent

I always knew we Buffalonians pronounce our A’s really strong and nasally (you know, pronouncing Aunt like ant), but I have never had people point it out so much. My friends have been making fun of me for the way I pronounce my words since the first week of school, and they haven’t stopped. They actually die at the way I pronounce elementary (el-e-men-ta-ry). HELLO there’s an A! Well guess what, your Jersey/ Philly accent isn’t that great to listen to either!

I am from Western New York

No, not everyone who says they are from New York is from New York City. And NO, that does not automatically mean I am from Upstate New York. Upstate is upstate. I am from Western New York. That is all.

Canal Side

It was just renovated and it’s amazing. It’s the perfect place to spend a beautiful day- paddle boarding, water biking, or just going on a boat tour. There are so many great food places right around it, and Thursday night concerts are some of the best nights of the summer. Canal Side is pretty much just a great excuse to go downtown and enjoy what Buffalo has to offer.

Concerts at Darien Lake

We are SO lucky to have such a great venue so close to us. We get the best artists in every genre, and its guaranteed to be a great night. I’ve been to concerts when it’s an absolutely perfect night, and I’ve been to some in fifty degrees and pouring rain; they’ve all been some of the best nights of the summer (except for when the Jonas Brothers didn’t play 3 years ago- still bitter).

BILLS

And, of course, to be surrounded by the best fans in the NFL. No one here gets why I’m such a huge Bills fan, but back home I’m just like everyone else. Wearing Bills apparel like three times a week in off-season is normal. I once saw a guy at a Target here in Philly decked out in Bills stuff head-to-toe (literally Bills shoes, pants, shirt and hat). I walked up to him and we ended up having a 15-minute conversation. My friends that were with me couldn’t understand how I could just go up to some random man solely because he was wearing Bills apparel.

I may hate snow (lake effect especially), and I may have said I couldn’t wait to get out of Buffalo to go to college, but there’s nothing like a Buffalo summer. There are endless things to do (Chesnut Ridge, Akron Falls, Mickey Rats Beach, etc.) and nowhere has better food. But most importantly, I am so excited to get back to the people I grew up with and have missed so much.