7 Ways Southern Greek Life Prepared Me For NYC

And everything else in life, really...

23
imgur.com

I don't like it when people tell me what to do. I don’t like it when people tell me I need to act a certain way or look a certain way or be at a certain place a certain time. I really hate when people tell me I need to “tone it down a little bit." (Do they know who I am?) And I really, really, hate it when people tell me I have to wear jeans. Finally, I refuse to wear Lilly Pulitzer and look like a desperate, confused, 20-year-old mom.

Enter Greek Life, one of the best things I have ever done in my college career and life, but something that involves me putting up with all of those things I hate quite often. (Except for wearing Lily Pulitzer, which my sorority luckily sees as an option of Southern self-expression.)

Nevertheless, in order to fully enjoy my Srat experience, I have swallowed my sassy comebacks and complaints. This has allowed me to have life-changing adventures, big and small, and meet friends who have helped to shape me into who I am. I have absolutely zero regrets about my choice to join a sorority.

Notice I am talking about Southern Greek Life, specifically. I go to school at NC State, and this summer, as I live in New York City, I have met a lot of cool people my age who are in Greek Life at great schools in New York or other Northern states. But there is something about that lustful gaze in their eyes that comes up when we begin to swap stories and compare experiences that remind me that Southern Greek Life is a special gem and that my friends here wistfully look up (or should I say down) to what they see across the Mason-Dixon line for a kind of ancient inspiration on how to have a good time. And as much as I respect their style and the culture up here, I have answered the question, “Is it just like the movies?” with a resounding “Yes, yes it is" one too many times to ignore the obvious differences between Southern Greek life and that of any other kind in the country.

I began to appreciate Southern Greek Life the most after I joined my sorority and left college for periods of time to travel. Not only did I realize how much fun I’ve had compared to other people my age, but especially this summer, as I adventure in Manhattan, I have found myself bizarrely prepared for random situations from necessary skills I picked up after going Greek.

So, here are some of things I have found Greek life prepared me for as I live in New York City, or really do anything else in life, with some assistance from one of my favorite Southern leading ladies, Vivian Leigh as "Gone with Wind's" Scarlett O'Hara.

1. The ability to make small talk/first impressions so that people think they like me and that I’m normal.

Ever since I was a little girl, I realized I was going to have to censor my first impressions with most people or else they would probably be afraid of me and I wouldn’t have many friends. Going through sorority recruitment only enhanced my first impression skills, and my ability to mask and distract people from the fact that I am low-key absolutely crazy.

After round one of recruitment I am now able to talk to anyone, about anything. I know how to not make things awkward unless I am specifically trying to. I can perfectly avoid the Five 'B's (Booze, Boys, Brands, Bank, Bible--the things sorority girls are supposed to avoid talking about during recruitment) until I realize we’re cool and they can join my tribe of self-expressive sass. Then voila! Instant friends in a brand new city. The best part is, once I make friends with someone here, I don’t have to apologize for hiding my beautiful insanity because pretty much everyone living in NYC is crazy in their own right

2. Questionable Housing Morals

The similarities between living in an NYC apartment and a room in a sorority house are actually terrifying and absolutely a thing. Paying obscene amounts of money to live in a super small space that is kind of falling apart on the inside and housing way too many people (location, location) is something I’m used to after living on Greek Court and which prepared me for Manhattan. My ability to cram all my clothes for every occasion and full contour makeup kit into my room and still be able to roll out a yoga mat is an acquired skill I am proud of.

3. Avoiding People Like You Avoid Things with the Prefix “Frat-”

Let me clear up a common misconception. Girls join a sorority to meet sisters, not brothers. Anyone with the right genitalia can waltz into a frat house without a problem, you don't need to be in a sorority to hang out with fraternities, so that is not a reason to join one. Don’t get me wrong, frat boys have a time a place and are a necessary character in an ensemble of shenanigans and fun, and I owe them some thanks for a part of my college memories. But let's be real, when it comes to Frat boys, 90 percent of the time you are trying to avoid them, no matter who you are.

Thus, from my hours spent walking around Greek Court, campus, and to class, etc, I have mastered the art of swerving on the sidewalk and not looking people in the eye hoping they won't recognize me and engage with me whilst in a public setting. This life skill is a necessity for survival in NYC, for when you are avoiding the other kind of creepy guys; typically crazy people and people trying to sell you things in Times Square.

But what happens if some creepy guy still tries to talk to you and won’t leave you alone or respect your personal space? Don’t worry, you’re prepared for that too! You know how to execute the perfect eye roll and shoot that (drunken) little (frat) boy down. You can even come up with a perfect excuse as to why you have to walk away and back to your friends.

4. Frat House-Like Conditions

New York City has limited public restrooms. Sometimes, you have to settle for conditions that are less than sanitary. Sometimes you gotta shake and go (if you’ve ever been to a frat party, you know what I’m talking about). Sometimes you find yourself staring down the dark armpit tunnels of the subway and watching the rats scatter and the hundreds of years of germs and beer cans in the gutter, and you wonder, “Why does this look so familiar?” and you ponder why you’re not as bothered by all the grossness as you should be. Because it's only temporary and the night is almost over? Because you're having so much fun? Wait, how did you get here again? Don’t worry, you always find a way home. Which leads me to my next point…

5. Stealing a Cab/Uber Like You’re Stealing a Pledge Ride

It’s rush hour. I got here first. Why yes, I am Ashley from Alpha Beta. I’m whoever you want me to be pledge/sir. Now take me back to Greek Court stat--I mean--my Manhattan apartment.

6. Tailgating in a Concrete Jungle

Would you like to know how it feels to walk around in a cramped, polluted city of 8.4 million people all breathing the same air in the hottest part of the summer? You are trying to look cute but you’re sweaty and gross. You're hot and dehydrated because you can’t drink any liquids because you’ll have to pee and there are no public restrooms. And you’re kind of delirious because you're having so much fun and you are so thrilled to be here because there is always something to do, some kind of live music, amazing food, and an all-around good vibe. Have you ever been to a Greek tailgate? Well, there you go. Manhattan is one big tailgate experience all summer long.

7. Always having something to look forward to.

At this point, there are only two things that are going to bring me home this fall. I mean, why would I ever leave New York City by choice?

Well, one, central air. Two, seeing my best friends, who also happen to be my sisters. Going Greek has given me something to always look forward to, especially when I am far away from home, even if it’s just seeing my sisters’ faces come August.

Some more amazing bonus prizes of my sorority sisters include: always having someone to Snapchat creepy pics of my summer boy options for comparisons or pics of me testing out risky NYC trends to (would this work in NC? Who cares, I’m going to wear it anyway) and always having someone to call or mass text when I don’t know what kind of ethnic food to get delivered to my apartment and I’m therefore having a crisis.

So, no, I don’t want to leave NYC. And I still don’t like it when people tell me what to do and how to do it. But let me tell you what I do like, if not love: What I love is when I'm a part of something greater than myself, something that benefits me in more than just one aspect of my life and will for years afterward. What I love is being a part of my sorority.