7 Ways To Show Someone That You Care | The Odyssey Online

7 Ways To Show Someone That You Care

Make sure the important people in your life know that you care

5906
7 Ways To Show Someone That You Care
Indiana Express

People need people. It is as simple as that. We all need to be encouraged that others really do love us. It is part of human nature to need to feel love and support – that someone out there really does care.

As I have entered adulthood, I have realized just how important it is to feel this, and that it is just as important to show others the same thing. In a world where selfishness reigns, it is important to take a step back and truly invest in people. It is important to make an effort to show the people you love (or maybe even people you don't know) that even in a world which can be very overwhelming, someone really does care. Here are seven simple ways to show others that you care:

1. Smile.

A smile, while perhaps the most simple effort, can go the farthest in brightening someone's day and showing care. It is so easy to just go about our business everyday and remain focused on our needs, worries and stresses, but even when life is crazy, there is joy too. A smile is a perfect way to spread that joy. Give it a try! Smile at someone as you pass them on the way to class. I can guarantee that it will brighten their day...and maybe even yours too!

2. Give someone a hug.

I am by no means advocating that we all begin standing on sidewalks or in the hallways holding “free hug” signs. But really, a hug can make a huge difference. It can show friendship, sympathy, empathy, love, caring...just about anything. Hugs are powerful. Is one of your friends struggling with loss? Do you have a friend who is having a terrible day or week? Give them a big hug, and let them know that you care, understand and are there for them.

3. Listen.

Bryant H. McGill said, “One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” How true this is! In the busyness of life, it is extremely easy to forget about or skim over the needs of others. We miss the fact that the people we are around have their own burdens, struggles and issues that they are facing. We miss that people are lonely. If we truly want to make a difference, one way we can do that is by slowing down and taking the time to really be there for others. Make yourself available as a listening ear. You might be surprised at the number of people who need someone to open up to and offer them advice or encouragement.

4. Send an encouraging text.

Several of my friends seem to know just when I need to hear something encouraging. To do this, they will send me a quick text, letting me know they are thinking about me and that they are there if I need anything. No words can adequately describe how much something as simple as a text message can mean in the right moment. So, if you find yourself thinking about someone a lot one day, go ahead and give it a try! Send them a message to show that you care. It can make a difference.

5. Bake a special treat.

Maybe your boyfriend has a job interview coming up that he is incredibly stressed about...maybe your friend just received some bad news. Whatever the situation may be, baking a plate of cookies or some other special treat for someone can be a great – and yummy – way to show you care and bring some cheer into their life.

6. Give them a call.

I realize that our generation is much more about texting than they are about making actual phone calls, but a phone call still means something to many people. Take some time and give your grandparents, your mom, or your best-friend from high school a call. The fact that you took the time to do this will show them that you care and have not forgotten about them. That will mean a lot to them.

7. Take the time to actually hang out with someone.

Make a lunch or coffee date with that friend you have not seen in weeks or months. Make some memories with your younger sibling. When we enter adulthood, life changes, and it can be more difficult to make time for the people who matter the most. Combat this tendency by forcing yourself to create the time needed to hang out with others. It is of utmost importance in keeping a healthy relationship with those people you care about, and the memories you make will last a lifetime!