7 Underrated Study Spots On Campus | The Odyssey Online

7 Underrated Study Spots On Campus

Tired of the lib and Bihall?

23
7 Underrated Study Spots On Campus
Becca Raffel

It's that time of year again and students are probing every inch of campus in the hopes of locating the perfect study spot to get through finals week. The library is packed from dawn to dusk and BiHall is swarming with students on every floor. The stress in the air is palpable, and even the quietest sections in the library are home to audible sighs and the whispers of anxious students trying to figure out how to complete their work. For those seeking a more under-the-radar, low-stress environment in which to hang out and do work for the next week, this list is for you.

1. Axinn 100

Axinn is full of a diverse array of places to study, and students who work in Axinn can mix up their studying locations so as not to get tired of too many hours in the same place. The options are plentiful, including the intensely quiet Abernathy room, the slightly more social long, dark wood tables, the comfy lounge chairs, the waterfall area and a variety of classrooms.

Axinn 100 is a personal favorite, as the auditorium-style classroom has an abundance of seating and the sloped rows make the room seem endless and open. Project a movie from the screening booth for a quick study break, or use the expansive whiteboard to pull a "Good Will Hunting" and finally solve that really hard theoretical problem you've been toiling over.

2. Crossroads Cafe

For those who need a little background noise when they work, Crossroads Cafe offers the perfect balance of peaceful cafe chatter while still remaining quiet enough to efficiently study. There are booths, tables and counter space available for studying in addition to two rooms in the back. For a pick-me-up, order a smoothie or buy some fresh sushi and eat it while you play pool on your study break. No need to bring headphones, because the Crossroads music selection is always on point, bringing back some of the classics from your middle school and high school years.

3. Hillcrest

Conveniently located between Proctor and Ross dining halls, Hillcrest offers a homey atmosphere for studying. There's nothing better than sinking into one of the comfy couches in the living room area to do work after a satisfying meal in the dining hall. The living room area has couches and tables, while the upstairs area has a few carrels for people who really need to focus. There are also scattered study spots around the building, with smaller tables in the windows and a large classroom that is often unoccupied.

4. Laforce Library

Located next to Ross Dining Hall, the Laforce Library is a great place to sneak in some studying between meals. The voice level is always low, and it is easy to concentrate at each of the individual desks. It also offers a great location to people-watch out the window if you get bored.

5. Hepburn Seminar Room

Hepburn is home to a variety of unexpected study spots, with carrels on each floor in addition to the lounge and, most notably, the seminar room. A large round table offers opportunities to work with a study group, work solo or meet friends. There is something about the seminar room that breeds efficiency in its visitors, so those who come are likely to accomplish a great deal.

6. Proctor Booth Room

While noise levels can vary during popular meal times, the Proctor Booth Room typically offers a relaxing vibe that allows students to study in diner-style booths while also enjoying food from the dining hall. Over the light chatter within the booths, sometimes you can hear the Dining Staff blasting country jams from the kitchen, making for a fun, upbeat work experience.

7. Outside McCullough

When the weather allows, the tables outside of McCullough are a great place to soak up some rays while getting work done. Catching people sporadically walking by offers a nice study break, while, for the majority of the day, the tables are underpopulated and quiet.