7 Things To Do Off-Campus | The Odyssey Online

7 Things To Do Off-Campus

Breaking up the routine you've created for yourself at Wake may just be what you need.

24
7 Things To Do Off-Campus

Each weekend at Wake Forest is shrouded in critical anticipation, like the worst thing we could possibly do is miss out on whatever party or tailgate is happening. Leading up to this critical point in the week there’s excited discussion of who sororities will mix with, what theme a party will to be, who will ask who to a date function. It is built up to a point that when the weekend rolls around, we’re so invested in the prospect of social plans that it feels as though we cannot afford to do something different - something that breaks up the routine of eat, sleep, school, party, repeat. I of all people understand that FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), is a force to be reckoned with. Lately, however, I have found that this routine, this cycle, is not as satisfying as it once was. I’ll get wrapped up in the talk of some event, some party that somehow distinguishes itself from all parties prior, I’ll get excited, I’ll plan an outfit, I’ll go, and I’ll be underwhelmed. Granted, a car is often the common denominator in activities that allow you to escape campus, but nonetheless, here are some ideas to break up the successive string of similar weekends you may need some space from.

1) See a professional sports team

Nosebleeds can be as cheap as $15 for a Hornets game (obviously it’s not basketball season right now, just make a note to self) and even cheaper for minor league baseball teams like the Asheville Tourists. A Panthers game may be a little more expensive at around $65, but the energy surrounding a team everyone is rallied around is one of those priceless experiences, in my opinion.

2) Go to a concert

If you’re into doing something spontaneous, Ben Rector will be in Charlotte the 23rd of this month, and Post Malone will be there the 27th, as well as on the 28th in Raleigh! Here are some other headliners that will be the area in the upcoming weeks and months as well:

Grace Potter in Raleigh 9/23

Phantogram in Charlotte 9/26

Charlie Puth in Charlotte 10/6 (really only know his one song with Selena Gomez tbh),

YG in Charlotte 10/9

Chance the Rapper in Raleigh 10/7

Local Natives in Charlotte 10/15

Band of Horses in Charlotte 10/27

The Head and the Heart in Raleigh 10/24

Bob Dylan in Raleigh 11/4

Lauryn Hill 12/11

Mac Miller in Charlotte 12/16

Twenty One Pilots is Greensboro 2/25

3) U.S White Water Center

Think ultimate amusement park for adults – this facility boast a rock climbing and bouldering wall, an extensive man-made white water rafting and kayaking course that the U.S Olympic Team uses to train on, zip lining, mountain biking, and even yoga. Buying an All-Sport Pass and making a day trip there could be one of the most fun ways you spend your Saturday or Sunday all year. Note that they don’t let you bring in or eat your own food, so you have be sneaky about it and eat lunch in the car.

4) Do a day hike

Salem Lake, Hanging Rock, Pilot Mountain -- these are favorites of Wake students already. Exploring what these places have to offer is not only cheap, but can be a much needed respite from the demands of school.

5) Go bowling

Northside Lanes is a go-to for sorority’s bid day festivities and the pre-orientation program Wilderness to Wake. Having a friendly competition between friends and playing arcade games you haven’t even laid eyes on in years is a cheap and accessible way to spend a Friday night somewhere else than a frat basement.

6) Do a trivia night

Foothills, a restaurant in Winston-Salem, has trivia nights every Thursday!

7) Sign up for an OP trip

Shameless plug – I work for Outdoor Pursuits, and we lead both day and overnight trips from day hikes on Hanging Rock and paddle boarding on Salem Lake to skydiving, surfing, and backpacking. If you don’t have a car, these trips are the perfect opportunity to get out and do something with people you never would have met otherwise.

I want to emphasize that there is nothing wrong with wanting to party on weekends! College is only four short years; we only have a limited about of time to have fun in that particular way. That being said, giving your body a break and trying something different next weekend could be something you never knew you needed until you tried it.