7 Songs Every Brown Girl Needs To Make Her Rural Punjab Fantasy Come Alive | The Odyssey Online

7 Songs Every Brown Girl Needs To Make Her Rural Punjab Fantasy Come Alive

because "Tujhe Dekha Toh Yeh Jaana Sanam... "

343
i.vimeocdn

If you are an ardent Bollywood fan like myself, odds are you have, at least once in your life, imagined falling in love with a Punjabi stud in a sarson ka khet (a field of yellow mustard flowers) somewhere in rural punjab. So here is a list of songs perfect for those times when you're indulging in this fantasy and need a melody to transport you to Kasoor and change your clothes into that hideously multi-coloured Patiala salvar and red dupatta. These songs are sure to add another dimension to your Heer-Ranjhaa fairy tale

1. O Rangrez from "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag"

Sung by Javed Bashir and Shreya Ghoshal from the Bollywood film Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, the lyrics poetically speak of dousing oneself in the colour of their lover so as to become one with them.

2. Ud Jaa Kaale Kawa from "Gadar"

Sung by Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik, this is also a bollywood song from the 2001 film Gadar which is about star-crossed lovers set during the partition of India.

3. Lodi from "Veer-Zara"

Celebrating the Punjabi harvest festival called Lodi, this song from the film Veer-Zara also celebrates love during times of festivities-- a very familiar trope in South Asian culture.

4. Ballay Ballay from "Bin Roye"

From the Pakistani film Bin Roye, this song is as typically awesome as it gets. There is nothing about this song that doesn't make you want to dance with your punjabi studboy by your side. Sung by Harshdeep Kaur and Shiraz Uppal.

5. Thoda Thoda Pyaar from "Love Aaj Kal"

This is an adorable song about the initial strains of love in a bygone era. Set in a 'haveli' or mansion, typical of old South Asia on the occasion of a "mehendi" (a traditional henna ceremony performed a day or so before weddings) sure to make you warm and fuzzy. Sung by Sunidhi Chauhan.

6. Balle Balle from "Bride and Prejudice"

While not technically a "Bollywood" movie, Bride and Prejudice directed by Gurinder Chadha and is a love story that transcends cultures and boundaries. The song Balle Balle is a medley of different tunes speaking about the various stages of love. Izzz cute!

7. Tum Tak from "Raanjhanaa"

One of my personal favourites, this song composed by A.R. Rahman talks about complete immersion in love. My favourite verse from this song goes:

Nainon ki dhaank le ja, Naino ki naiyya
Patwar tu hai meri, tu kewaiyya
Jaana hai paar tere, tu hi bhanwar hai
Pahunchegi paar kaise, naazuk si naiyya

Which roughly translates to mean:

Take the glow from my eyes, take the boat of my gaze
You are the oars and you are the oarsman as well
You are also the swirling vortex, I must cross through you to reach my destination
oh, how will my fragile boat make it across this maelstrom that you have caused within me.

Well that's a wrap.

Here's hoping that your dupatta gets caught on a woke brown boy's kurta sleeve some day soon. Inshallah!