7 Simple Solutions For The Stressed Out Student | The Odyssey Online

7 Simple Solutions For The Stressed Out Student

Instead of stressing this semester, let's find a balance between work and play.

22
essaybasics.com

Even though most of us started a new school semester only a couple weeks ago, many students are already stressing about upcoming assignments and deadlines. Winter break spoiled us, and now we must relearn how to manage our time and schoolwork when there never seems like enough hours in the day. Added to social and professional responsibilities, grades and group projects can easily increase an anxious student’s stress levels. This natural response then leads to struggles with concentration and possibly even physical and mental illnesses. When ignored, stress steals fulfillment from our daily lives and makes us become who we are not.

To start and keep the semester strong, students should find and practice the best methods for coping with stress. The examples below are some of my personal and proven favorites.

1. Organization

This might sound basic, but creating a comfortable and organized environment is one of the most important steps in preventing stress while working. If you cannot stretch without knocking over a pile of paper plates or stack of books on your desk, you will not feel motivated to study or stay in one place. Clutter is a key adversary for busy students because it can easily distract us from the essays we are supposed to be writing. If where you work is untidy, you will feel unorganized as well. Without even realizing it, you might be psyching yourself out simply by putting off the chores for another week.

Of course, even if your work station is not messy, your environment might not be best serving you if things are out of order. Everyone has preferences for their supplies, especially serious students. Rearrange your highlighters, invest in file folders, and hang a calendar or to-do list. Once everything is in its proper place, you can feel more prepared to tackle those assignments.

2. Music

For those of us who need sound while we work, take time to create the perfect playlist for all your projects. Some students only need background noise and might listen to nature sounds on repeat for several hours. Then there are others who prefer strong, blaring music and can still read while listening to pop or metal. For students somewhere in the middle, something instrumental might be the most beneficial.

Besides gathering related songs into one or several distinct playlists, students should consider creating their own background music. There are actually online sites where people can mix their own songs by combining various audio loops of their choosing for free. Not only does this kind of service provide an appreciated break from your studies, but it also gives you the power to create personalized playlists for whatever assignment or prompt you can imagine.

3. Exercise

Instead of stressing and suffering at a desk or table all day, give yourself the time to get up and move around. Exercising is a great way to lower stress levels because it encourages you to use muscles that have otherwise been inactive and increases your heart rate in a good way. It can also clear one’s mind after staring at the same essay or chapter for hours. One of the best aspects of exercise is the fact that anyone can personalize routines to fit individual needs. For instance, some people might feel reenergized after just a brief walk in the fresh air. Others need exercise with a higher impact like aerobics. Find a system that works best for you and try to maintain it for both your physical and mental health.

4. Meditation

When picturing meditation, most people probably assume that yoga has to be a part of it. Yoga is actually a great balance between exercise and meditation since it loosens the body and opens the mind. However, people can really meditate anywhere. If you do not want to invest in a yoga mat and instructional videos, consider meditating whenever you have a free moment. Even better, look through your schedule and make time. Find a quiet place in your hectic day and reflect on what you want and what you have accomplished. Sometimes stealing away for a few minutes to reconsider where you are in life is the best way to gain a little self-assurance.

5. Aromatherapy

Even though it might take some time, using aromatherapy can become one of the most relaxing and rewarding ways to manage stress. After all, each scent creates its own meaning, whether it be soothing or energetic. Pick and use what kinds of fragrances can serve you best by what you most need. For example, if you struggle to sleep at night after a busy and stressful day, lavender is famous for its soothing effects. Contrarily, if you find yourself lacking energy, scents like peppermint and cinnamon can stimulate the most tired minds. With so many scents to choose from, including floral and food, users can discover and experiment with their favorites.

After picking one’s scents, how to incorporate them into daily routines can also be decided through preference. For instance, essential oils are easy additions to a quick massage or even bath. Burn some fragrant candles or incense and indulge your stress away.

6. Prayer

Sometimes the best way to conquer stress is to let go of your problems and just give them to God. When we feel as if we need a little more strength or guidance, knowing there is a higher power can give tremendous comfort and reassurance. If everything happens for a reason, we have to believe that we would not be put in situations that we could not overcome.

Whenever we are in doubt, we can look to the following Bible verse for comfort: “Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.”—1 Peter 5:7

7. Escape

Whenever life, work, or school becomes too stressful, grant yourself time for a brief escape from problems and worries. Take a walk, go on a short vacation with friends, or just travel to other worlds with a good book. Sometimes just taking a step back and giving yourself a break can return the motivation or creativity. Never escape to run away from your responsibilities, but step away to gain a new perspective. The solutions might be clearer than you think.