7 Reasons Why Being The Oldest Kid Is Actually The Best | The Odyssey Online

7 Reasons Why Being The Oldest Kid Is Actually The Best

72

I'm the oldest in my family. And when I say oldest, I mean way, way oldest: there are ten years between my little sibs and me. And, while being an adult in a house full of middle schoolers can sometimes be a pain in the butt (about twenty minutes ago, I found them having a fist fight because one called the other stupid. The girl won, of course), I really wouldn't have my life any other way.

Reasons why being the oldest (by a lot) actually rocks:

1. You'll always be the cool one.
    Little kids always look up to their older sibs. They want to do the things you do, say the things you say, and basically just be you. Anything you say is law because you're older and cooler, obviously. Basically, they're the best ego boost in the world.
  2. You'll always have a warm welcome.
    This goes back to #1. Because you're the best, coolest person in the world, younger siblings are always thrilled when the oldest comes home. Whether I'm home from school or just done with work for the day, I always come back to a "Maddie's home!" and a hug. While I was in Spain last year, I got a "Goodnight, Maddie! I love you!" text every night. Who wouldn't want that kind of love?
  3. Siblings bring out your inner child.
    I'm a senior in college, but my siblings are going into the 8th grade. I may be worried about finals, or my summer internship, or the need to find a real job in my near future, but whenever I come home and am around the kids, I immediately feel that all my "adult" responsibilities are way less important than I was making them out to be. A few weeks ago, a coworker was telling me how she wanted to "be a kid" this summer. As she started listing all the things she considered kiddish (reading a book, riding a bike, going outside in general...), I realized that I've done all of these things this summer, simply because my siblings make me. I've jumped on a trampoline, rolled down a hill, and swam in the middle of a lake. Yesterday, I watched Disney Channel with my little sister, and tonight, my little brother and I left the dinner table by having a finger sword fight. Life with kids always keeps me on my toes.
  4. You get good parenting experience (and learn how hard having kids really is).
    This may not be important to everyone, but it's really true. My dad always jokes that "these kids are the best form of birth control." While he's obviously kidding, he's actually right. Because I grew up being a "third parent" to my siblings, I know how hard raising kids is. Even as an irresponsible teenager, I knew I couldn't deal with that on my own, and consequently made good choices. When I do choose to have kids, I'll know what I'm getting myself into, and, consequently, the prospect will be much less daunting.
  5. You got to be an only child.
    Siblings are cool and all, but as the oldest, you know (even if you don't remember it) that there was a time when it was just you and the 'rents, and that's pretty cool. Parents try to not play favorites, but being the only child creates a bond with them that younger siblings can never fully have. And, if you can remember the time as the only kid (trust me, I can), it makes you appreciate your siblings even more.

6. Your parents trust you.
    Being the oldest usually means babysitting, chauffeuring, and running errands for your parents. You're the "adult," so parents have to trust you. And, when your parents trust you, life gets significantly easier. Trusted kids get to go on spring break with their friends; siblings without their parents' trust have to spend their breaks at the grandparents' condo in the retirement complex.
  7. Your siblings will always have your back.
    Of course, this has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with sibling bonds, but, in my opinion, it's the most important. Because my siblings and I are so close, I know that no matter what happens, there will always be at least two people who love me and will do anything for me.

Having younger siblings, although sometimes irritating, is really the best situation. You get the fun of a big family with the perks of being the oldest. Kids keep you young, keep you entertained, and make the best friends in the world. I may have been an only child for the first ten years of my life, but I feel like my family wasn't itself until my brother and sister came into it. They may be a pain sometimes, but I wouldn't want to have my life any other way.