7 Reasons To See Moana This Holiday Season | The Odyssey Online

7 Reasons To See Moana This Holiday Season

Disney's newest movie delivers in many different ways.

55
google

Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I went with my family to see Disney's newest film, "Moana." Based on Polynesian folklore, it follows Moana, a young woman who teams up with the demigod, Maui, to save her home island and her people.

After seeing the trailers and learning about the people involved in it, I was looking forward to it but not entirely sure what to expect. When I finally watched "Moana," I was blown away. From the music to the characters to the visuals and beyond, the movie was unique and resonant in so many ways. It also has important messages and elements that make it a worthwhile trip to your local movie theatre.

Read on and see why "Moana" is worth checking out for yourself.!

1. The Cast

The cast members of "Moana" are incredibly talented, especially its two main stars: Auli’i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson.

Auli’i is a native Hawaiian and was only fourteen when she got the part of Moana, which was also her first official role! Her vocal range and acting ability are amazing for such a young actress, and I can't wait to see what she does next.

As for Dwayne Johnson, “The Rock” starring in a Disney movie could be a reason to see the movie in of itself. Johnson is hilarious and ultimately moving as the demigod, Maui, and getting to hear him sing in his big song, “You’re Welcome” was great. He was also specifically cast in and sought out for this role; the filmmakers didn’t reach out to anyone else!

2. It's Refreshing

Following "Brave," "The Princess and the Frog," and "Frozen," Disney continues to change the notion of what it means to be a Disney Princess through the character of Moana. She is incredibly capable, and independent as the future Chief of her island. As Moana grows up, it is never suggested that she may not be able to be a leader because she is a woman, or that she needs to marry or be with a man in order to do well.

In fact, she doesn’t have a love interest at all. Romance can be great when it’s done well, but it’s incredibly refreshing to have a movie that focuses on other relationships as well. Moana’s relationship with her family, her friends, her people, and the sea are highlighted and held up to be just as important as romantic storylines in other Disney movies.

Given that she is also a teenager, it feels much more appropriate to focus on her learning about her identity and helping her people, instead of settling down at such a young age.

3. The Animation

'Moana’s" animation is absolutely gorgeous. From the ocean to the surrounding islands to the nature represented in the movie, the visuals are detailed and stunning. They were also groundbreaking, as Disney actually created new software to make "Moana" a reality. The effects team built a new system called Splash that allowed them to animate realistic water, and new tools and processes had to be made in order to make Moana’s hair look textured and realistic.

4. It's Diverse

Moana is the fourth Disney princess of color, and the first of any of them to be Polynesian. The cultures of the Pacific Islands play a huge role in the film, and they are portrayed accurately.

The main filmmakers, Ron Clements and John Musker, went on two major trips to the southern Oceanic region and visited islands like Fiji, Samoa, and Tahiti to learn more authentically about the area’s indigenous peoples. Clements and Musker also cast people who had a connection to the Pacific Islands, and Samoan music is featured throughout the movie.

In a day and age where whitewashing and cultural appropriation remain a large problem in the media industry, it’s exciting to see Disney’s commitment to diversity and accuracy in "Moana."

5. The Music

Three words: LIN. MANUEL. MIRANDA. Well-known for his Broadway smash-hit, "Hamilton," and other works such as In the Heights, Miranda’s involvement as one of the main composers/songwriters made seeing this movie a huge priority for me. His songs were catchy, dynamic, and did not disappoint.

In the tradition of classic Disney music, "Moana" has a soundtrack that will stay with you (and stuck in your head) for days after listening to it. From “How Far I’ll Go,” which describes Moana’s dreams in a similar vein to “Go the Distance” or “Part of Your World,” to “Shiny,” which features a crab singing to a David Bowie influenced tune, there’s no shortage of range in this soundtrack. The score is also faithful to the cultures upon which it is based. Opetaia Foa’i, a Samoan musician, was one of the main songwriters of and consultants for the film.

6. The Themes

The movie also has lots of important themes that are relevant for many different people. Moana’s search for her identity and conflict between wanting to follow her dreams but be there for her people can teach us powerful lessons about discovering ourselves and balancing our responsibilities and dreams.

It also teaches young people about their role and autonomy in helping to make the world better and solve problems. It is Moana’s idea to set out on a journey to save her island and ultimately help her people return to the ocean, but she is dismissed as a teenager. However, it is her intuition and knowledge of when to take a stand that ends up saving her island and her people. With so many current events and social issues drastically shaping society at the moment, Moana reminds young people that, despite their age, their solutions and ideas are important to creating a strong world moving forward.

7. The Animal Sidekicks

It wouldn’t be a Disney movie without the cute animal sidekicks, right? Based on the large numbers of pigs and chickens in the Pacific Islands, Moana’s pets, Pua and Hei Hei are highlights of the film on their own.

I hope that you enjoy "Moana" as much as I did! Happy holidays.