7 Reasons Why We'll Always Love Friends | The Odyssey Online

7 Reasons Why We'll Always Love Friends

Friends forever, why we are still loving the show 20 years on.

18
7 Reasons Why We'll Always Love Friends
TV Guide

Friends continues toidentify with audiences of all ages, for hundreds of reasons. Here are seven to get us started.

7. The Beginning Sequence: Audiences That Clap Together, Stay Together

The most catchy opening sequence, period.

So no one told you life was gonna be this way.. (clap, clap, clap, clap)

I’ll admit it. Friends fans recite the lyrics and clap the opening part of the song. The beginning sequence, in this way, bring viewers together – especially in public. (Hearing strangers clap to it in a waiting room enables you to instantly gain new friends). It is here that we are introduced to Monica, Joey, Phoebe, Ross, Chandler and Rachel – casually splashing about in a fountain at the Warner Bros. Ranch. The title sequence was filmed at a frosty 4am in Burbank, California, and thankfully so, paved the way for a joyful decade of singalongs before each episode.

6. Smelly Cat: Actually, Phoebe’s Whole Repertoire

“Monica, Monica, Have a Happy Hanukkah…”

It’s essential to have some quirky Phoebe in our lives to bring us back down to Earth, even if she seems permanently off with the fairies. Miss Buffay is the eccentric, street smart, guitar playing friend, the “better twin” to Ursula, and alternative ego to Regina Phalange. Phoebe is adored for her questionably truthful lyrics and elaborate dubious stories about her previous lives. With a kind heart and the best of intentions, Phoebe pours all of life’s truths into her songs, however appropriate or unveiling they may be. Topics covered in her songs have included, though aren’t restricted to: midgets, little black curly hairs, goats, papier-mâché, and how animals become meat for hamburgers. A repertoire with extensive worldly diversity, if you will.

A proud Phoebe showed her Smelly Cat video clip to the gang, who watched in disbelief in The One Where Eddie Moves In (Season 2). It’s a shame that this ode to the poor cat didn’t actually feature Phoebe’s real singing voice. Phoebe didn’t seem phased; “Oh, I am sorry but I am incredibly talented.”

5. Janice: The Woman, The Legend

Oh. My. God.

She is one of the most cherished recurring characters that the show has delivered. Our nasally voiced, big-haired, obnoxious drama queen Janice – and we wouldn’t have her any other way. Janice was introduced to us as Chandler’s long term on-off girlfriend in the first season, and I must say, Maggie Wheeler was the absolute stellar choice to portray THE Janice Litman Goralnik, née Hosenstein. Nineteen episodes featuring Janice, for me, just isn’t enough.

Viewers can’t help but warm to Janice, as the garish woman herself is completely unaware of her irritatingly piercing voice and trademark cackle. She is a truly likeable and alarmingly popular Friends character, with a personality so cringeworthy that you just have to accept her as being oh-so-Janice. It’s as if she’s a caricature of Fran Drescher in The Nanny, and with the hair to match.

I adore the fact that Chandler’s guilt in trying to forever break things off with her, keeps Janice’s larger-than-life persona in the show. Even when he shakes her off, Chandler’s losing luck in dating always seems to direct him back to the comfortable territory of his first “love”, Janice. The One With The Mix Tape (Season 6) gave audiences a particularly treasured Janice moment, though she wasn’t even physically on screen. It’s an episode where Chandler and Monica are dating, and he forgets his Valentine’s pact to Monica to make her gift. Panicking in true Chandler fashion, he presents her with a mix tape he finds in his cupboard. Monica swoons, and they slow dance together to his apparent romantic song choices. The moment peaks as Janice’s recorded rendition of My Funny Valentine emanates in all its nasal glory. Monica’s reaction? Oh. My. God.

4. Ross & Rachel: A Love Story

The One With The Videotape

The Ross and Rachel saga spans the entirety of the Friends ten seasons, easily ranking as the most complicated yet wonderful Will They Or Won’t They plots in sitcom history. Ross’ sights on Rachel since the ninth grade fed into their string of unsuccessful relationships over the seasons – with no amount of Barrys, Carols, Tags or Monas to deter their way back to one another.Memories of our beloved Ross and Rachel duo are delightfully enjoyable and consistently heartfelt. The One Where Ross And Rachel.. You Know (Season 2) was Ross’ date with Rachel under the planetarium stars, over Chris Isaac’s Wicked Game and a juice box. Ross confirmed his chances of succeeding the bounds of the friend zone, as Rachel was seduced by the sweetest nerd on television. Then there was The One With The Morning After (Season 3) where Ross’ ill-timing introduced the recurring “We were on a break!” joke; hilariously resurfacing time and time again throughout the next seven seasons. The drunken escapades of Ross and Rachel lead to The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel (Season 6); Phoebe discovered Ross never actually annulled the Vegas marriage with Rachel. Thishad viewers cheering for the prospect of another chance for love between them. Though Ross is a big ol’ clumsy ball of good intentions, he comes out with lines like, “You complete me.. kitchen”, making me just want to face palm and squeeze him with love, simultaneously.

It is Ross’ sensitive nature, geek qualities and inability to ever get over Rachel (“He’s her lobster!”) that is the perfect compliment for Rachel’s impulsive, often high maintenance and romantic qualities. It makes the entire saga of their dating woes, the birth of Emma, the potential hospital proposal and Rachel’s move to Paris all the more rewarding. The suspenseful build up to The Last One Pt 2 (Season 10) brought us the most heart pumping airport chase since Home Alone. This final Ross and Rachel moment in Friends created the perfect, delicate and crucial moment that adds to the series’ lasting success: she got off the plane. Cue our sobs of joy whilst we spoon our boyfriends or tubs of ice cream: we can rest assured that Emma can now finally be raised by her hilarious, wonderful and loved-up parents, together, forever. Damn it Ross and Rachel, why can’t our lives be that romantic?

3. Chandler: The Hilarious Underdog

The bromance of humour and charisma.

Friends will forever be the only opportunity for 238 episodes to satisfy your Chandler fix. Personally, I’m still looking for the real-life reincarnation of him.

Chandler Bing (“Actually, it’s MISS Chanandler Bong”) is the comedic genius of the group, who executes his jokes at inappropriate times to break awkward silences, on an average day. The bromance between him and Joey delivers outstanding comedic value, though it is equally important that Chandler’s humour is appreciated individually. He is always delivering dry one-liners and daily observations, often missed in the laughs of the last joke. He always adds a hint of mockery to every situation, being sure to joke about himself as much as others. Honourable mentions include the jokes in The One With All the Resolutions (Season 5),where Chandler has made a bet not to make fun of his friends. His opinions soon surface, especially as Ross is wearing leather pants and Phoebe is trying to steal a plane. Ah well, it was worth his $50 loss.

It is, no doubt, Chandler’s mundane position in statistical analysis and data reconfiguration that allows him to be all kinds of funny outside his grey cubicle confines. This contrast is particularly funny throughout the ten seasons. Team Bing, any day.

2. Valued (& Believable) Characters

Did we all just become best friends?

The likeability of the six young Manhattan friends has allowed the show to transcend its original nineties-to-early-noughties audience. The fact that they seem like real humans – not just TV humans – is a really important thing. Friends resonates with people through the human experiences of happiness, comfort, loneliness, rejection and success – the conditions that remind us of our losses and our gains. Similarly to a Shakespearean tragedy, Bright, Kauffman and Crane have created a text that presents human issues to ourselves; such issues that remain unchanged over time. Friends’ relevance comes from its representation of how we connect to others and ourselves, exploring the traits, relationships and values of young, modern, working Americans.

We see it in Monica’s passion and even obsessive compulsion towards the things she loves; Rachel’s spontaneity; Ross’ kind hearted attention to detail; Chandler’s sarcastic-though-supportive advice; Phoebe’s obscurity and confidence in her principles; and Joey’s slow-witted though incredibly caring nature. Each Friends character interrelates seamlessly, whilst individually signifying the qualities that allows them to support their own. They really would all make a solid friend, giving them a credibility and integrity that gives kudos to such successful execution.

1. The Determination of Red Ross

The joke that every viewer loves.

They were.